We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

I have had three "system error" messages when I tried to use my HSBC debit card to withdraw cash in Vienna from three different locations. When I call HSBC customer service they say that their cards don't work in Austria, Ukraine and Brazil. This sounds crazy -Vienna is a huge tourist town and my Wells Frago card works fine -any idea what gives????

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

That sounds very odd. In the past I've successfully used a HSBC (UK) debit card in Austrian cash machines. Perhaps it depends in which country your card was issued? Does your card have the Cirrus (Mastercard) or Visa Plus logo on it? I believe both of those networks operate in Austria.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

Mine is an HSBC Premier Master Card -debit card. It doesn't have the Cirrius logo on it. I used it in Amsterdam on the stopover and in Venice last year. I use it in Mexico -where I live-all the time. I suspect there is more to what I am being told as it does not make sense.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

No, that does sound weird. And if it's a Mastercard it should work on the Mastercard/Cirrus network which operates in Austria anyway. If it worked in Amsterdam, I'd expect it to work all over Europe.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

I have a US-issued HSBC debit card and have successfully used it in multiple cities in Austria, including Vienna. On my last trip, though, I had to try several different bank ATMs in Vienna before I found one that let me make a withdrawal.

And that is why I have another checking account, with a different bank (TD Bank), which has a Visa debit card. The TD card always works in Europe, and in an emergency, I can transfer money from from HSBC to TD, although that takes a few days.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

Many thanks to both rapid responders -I think your TD Bank is great advice and I will look into this. I will also try some other ATMs. Thanks again!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

I hope you have success – and you could try any bank that has a Visa debit card. I got a no-fee account at TD, and the branch is across the street, thus I went with them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

I would also note what the US State Department says about US debit cards on their Austria page:

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_965.html

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

Thanks for this link-am in Croatia now and the card is working fine everywhere. Who knew that Austria was a bigger problem than Croatia! Stunning country!!!

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

As the slogan for VIenna is : Vienna is different!!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,267 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problem using HSBC ATM in Vienna

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but Austria has been quite resistant to the onslaught of cards. Quite a number of businesses (including small hotels) still won't take them. A few years ago I waited until I crossed the border into Austria to fill up with petrol (it was a lot cheaper than in Germany) at the first motorway service area I came to. When I went to pay they wouldn't take a card which I'd not encountered on the rest of my trip. Thankfully I had enough Schillings to pay (it was just before the Euro was introduced).