We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation

Travelling from Prague to Vienna: is it cheaper to travel by train or rent a car? If we rent a car, it means paying parking at the hotel. Also, how long does it take by car?

Same question from Berlin to Prague.

Thanking you for a prompt answer.

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Transportation

Glad to help and fortunately or not I have clients and friends and relatives who live in major urban areas both in Europe and in North America who would not take public transport if their life depended on it!! Thats the beauty of it I guess we are all made different, hope to hear from you soon Norman!!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Transportation

If renting a car, someone also needs to know.......

.....that an International Driving License is needed if you come from outside the EU

.....that a toll sticker is needed for the use of Austrian expressways (A and S)

.....that parking in the center of Vienna is not free and restricted

.....that rental cars incur costs while parked (car itself + parking)

.....that you may get stuck in traffic if you enter Vienna during rush hour

.....that gasoline is much more expensive than e.g. in the US or Canada

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Transportation

To Mikey just some info a Intl driving licence is not required, it is strictly up to the rental company. North America and EU share an agreement if you rent a car say with Austrian drivers licence in canada or States thats ok. Tolls are tolls everywhere, sticker in Austria and Slovenia, e-sticker in Hungary- pay tolls in Italy etc..parking too is like that in all major cities..we know fuel is more expensive here!!! but people know this who are seasoned travellers.

Finaly have no clue what you mean by car incurs costs while parked??? and traffic in Vienna?? ok guess you have never been in Toronto or New York city!!!

Edited: 21 May 2012, 11:20
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Transportation

Hi Norman and Peter,

Thank you very much for the valuable information. We thought about it and decided to rent a car as both of you are right. We will have the luxury to take our time and stop whenever we want. In Salzburg, we need a car to visit the differents sites but when we are in the city (Berlin, Prague and Vienna), we will park the car at the hotel and either walk or use the public transportation. Again, thank you guys and will try to give you my comments upon my return.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Transportation

@Peter

In Austria an IDP (or translation) is required by law (§23 Driving License Act), so please do not tell people that it is up to the rental agency!

A rental car that is parked at a hotel's garage also costs. Or don't rental agencies charge the time the car isn't used? The reason why I mentioned all the additional costs of a car is because you implied that it is cheaper than the train.

I have been to both, New York and Toronto and driving there is much easier than in an European city because of the "chessboard pattern" of the streets. Do you recommend people visiting New York to rent a car at Kennedy Airport in order to get into the city and for sightseeing in the city?

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Transportation

Hi Mikey am not trying to argue about this only stating facts. Rather than talking about certain antiquated laws the best bet is go out to VIE and ask the rent a car companies themselves, I would not write it if I wasn't in the business. Sorry I still do not get your point about the parking garage in a hotel, of course you pay for a car rental on a 24 hour basis so while you sleep so does the car, realy its not that hard to understand. Finaly I just realy want the public who are asking questions on these forums to be well informed with up to date information and I do not suggest renting a car because I like that better than train travel or vice versa! None of us are paid to answer these questions we try and use the best knowlege we have of the situation and pass it on o the public, then let them decide!

17. Re: Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:42