We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
675 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

My kids are keen on visiting Neuschwanstein Castle as part of our journey of Austria ( and it's just too near the border to resist a detour).

I'm thinking of doing a loop from Durnstein, Halstatt then onto Fussen and on return, to Innsbruck then Salzburg , then back to Vienna.

Or should we go directly from Durnstein to Fussen, then only go to Halstatt after Innsbruck, Salzburg enroute to Vienna.The only thing is I find that the drive from Durnstein to Fussen is about 6 hours long which might be too tiring for the driver.

Is there a better route to do this?We will be leaving Durnstein on a Saturday.Would there be congestion along the roads?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

Driving from Duenstein to Fuessen will take more than 6 hours. I have driven the route (albeit in sections, at different times). Besides, your kids will probably be bored visiting inside the castle, because you HAVE to visit it as part of a tour, with lots of lengthy explanations.

Thus, my suggestion would be to do something a bit less ambitious. As part of your stay in Salzburg, take a half day (perhaps a little longer than half day) drive from Salzburg to the Herrenchiemsee Palace of the same King Ludwig who built Neuschwanstein . You would drive from Salzburg on the A-8 (Salzburg - Munich Autobahn) as far as the Bernau exit (44km from Salzburg), and take the road north to Prien. When you come to a traffic circle, turn right and follow the signs to ther Chiemsee. The road will take you to Stock. There you pick up one of the lake steamers that takes you to the Herreninsel (Island), where the palace is located. From the Herreninsel boat landing, it is a pleasant 15-20min. walk to the palace. You can either look at the outside of the palace and the foirmal gardens, or visit inside.

There is a snack bar in the palace, but also a very nice hotel with a terrace restaurant right above the boat landing.

You can either return the way you came, or retyurn to the Autobahn, but not get on it but continueunderneathy it on the highway (It's numbered B-305), to Grassau, Marquartstein, Unterwoessen, Reit im Winkl. In Reit, the B-305 becomes part of the Deutsche Alpenstrasse (German Alpine Highway), which takesd you to Berchgtesgaden and back to Salzburg. If you took the B'gdn route, this will be an easy day trip, with beuatiful scenery and excellent roads.

Should isnsit that you want to drivew yto Fuessen, let me know. I'll nbe glad to give youy a routing; but you should allow at least 3 days. The kids (and you as driver) will be grareful for the slopwer pace.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

Thank you for that.

My kids are teenagers and are still insistent about visiting the "fairytale " castle, ( it's Disney's influence!) so since we are in the area, I think it might be doable.

Would it be better for me to drive to Halstatt from Durnstein and spend the night at Halstatt and drive off the next am from Halstatt to Fussen?Or is there a nice stop between Durnstein to Fussen, to stop by and spend a night to shorten the drive to Fussen?We do intend to go to Halstatt in any event so I thought it might be a good idea to spend a night here before pushing towards Fussen. Or would it be a good idea to spend the weekend around Salzburg and Halstatt , then onto Innsbruck ,and leave Innsbruck in the evening towards Fussen( we intend to spend a night here before doing the tours of the castles the next day.)

I shall need to return to Salzburg to return the car, so we do need to stop at the end in Salzburg before taking the the train back to Vienna.

Thank you for your input. Would appreciate some advice and feedback here.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

Ok, Fuessen it will be: From Duernstein, continue on Route 3 west to Emmersdorf an der Donau. This is where one of the rare bridges over the Danube is located. Cross it to Melk, and be sure to visit the Monastery there. (38km, from Duernstein). At Melk, get on the ViennaSalzburg Autobahn A-1, going west. If you think your kids should visit one of the infamous concentration camps, after visiting Melk return to Route 3, and drive west as far as Mauthausen. (62km from Emmersdorf). Then, cross the Danube, and get on the A-1. The distance on the A-1 from Melk to where you get on the A-1 if coming from Mauthausen is about the same distance, the Mauthausen way is just slower driving.

Go on the A-1 west past Linz to the exit #216 (Steyrermuehl), and head south on Route 145 to Bad Ischl, and St. Agatha; there follow the unnumbered road to Hallstatt. From Mauthausen to Hallstat it is 55km on the A-1, plus 59km to Hallstatt, on a good road. Good places to stop and eat are along the Traunsee and in Bad Ischl, the former Austrian Emperor’s favorite spa.

After Hallstatt, head on Routes 166 and 162 west to Golling. These are minor, but good roads. At Golling, get on the Autobahn A-10 south to Exit# 46, Bischofshofen (about 55kmfrom Hallstatt). At Bischofshofen you have two options to get to Woergl, where you get on the Innsbruck Autobahn. (1) Take the Routes 311 to Bruck, 168 to Mittersill, 161 Kitzbuehl, 170 to Woergl. This is a major transit route for trucks, and likelyto be busy on weekdays. But it is a good, major highway. It is 128km, Bischofshofen to Woergl. (2) My favorite route, less busy, good and much more scenic: Bischofshofen - to Saalfelden on Route 164, along the Steinerne Meer, a beautiful mountain massif, passing the resort of Maria Alm. From Saalelden, continue on Route 164 to St. Johann, and then Route 178 to Woergl. That last 30km ate also likely to be busier. The whole trip on that route from Bischofshofen is 111km

In Woergl, you get on the Autobahn A-12 to Innsbruck. After Innsbruck, continue west on the A-12 to either the Zirl exit (8km), from where you take the Austrian 177/German B-2 to Mittenwald and Garmisch- Partenkirchen, plus the German B-23/Austrian 187 to Lermoos, and the Austrian 179 north to Reutte, following the signs to Fuessen. That route is 124km, but requires driving through Garmisch. Option: Continue on the A-12 past Zirl to Telfs ( Exit 105), and take the Austrian 179 to Reutte and Fuessen. This routing goes over the Fernpass, an easy to drive pass route. It is about 112km.

If, after studying this, you want a couple of different routes back to Salzburg, let me know. I should mention that I have driven all the routes I have indicated, some several times. I grew up in that whole region.

IMPORTANT: Before you get on the any Austrian autobahn, make sure you have a so called "Vignette". This is a timed windshield sticker that shows that you paid the autobahn toll. It is good for all Austrian autobahns and Schnellstrassen (another form of limited access highway). The Vignette is available for various lengths of validity. You can purchase it at any service station in Austria. DO NOT try to drive on the autobahns without the vignette. You can be sure the Austrian cops will catch you, especially with a non-Austrian license plate. It will cost you something like EUR 120 if you get caught, payable on the spot. Also, observe the speed limits, no matter if others don’t. There are cameras all over the place and suddenly, when you get home, you will get the bill.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

Thank you so much for the much detailed and informative reply. I'm now in Vienna trying to get over the jet lag and time difference.there's still some days to go yet so I haven' t really confirmed which route to go with but I do hope to be able to make the journey as comfortable as possible for the driver as well and as kids are also involved, i need o ensure they are not going to be bored in the car too long.We will be starting our journey from durnstein on saturday morning as our accommodation has already been booked and i need to get to fussen by sunday ( again because accommodation has also been booked). So where would you think would be good to spend an overnight as well as take in some sights or do something between Saturday and Sunday besides Halsatt?or would Halsatt be ideal? Or should i drive toards innsbruck from durnstein? Because I need to return my car in Salzburg , I'd much prefer to make Salzburg and Hallstatt the final stop.

Thank you.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

I would make the next stop after Duernstein in Hallstatt. Then drive through to Fuessen in one day. . You can do the described Hallstatt- Innsbruck - Fuessen route via Saalfdelden - St. Johann - Woergl- Innsbruck - and Fernpass Fussen with no sweat. I was under the impreession, that you wanted to stay in Innsbruck.

This gives you then later enough time to enjoy Salzburg and the environs. The kids might be interested in to visitthe Eagles Nest (its actual Name Kelhsterinhaus) near Berchtesgaden (about 35 minutes drive from Salzburg) and the Document Center there about the Nazi time in that area, which was the vacation retreat for Hitler and most of his leading cohorts, with bunkers and all. I wrote you about nearby Herrenchiemsee before.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

Yes, you did mention Herremchiemsee Palace before but I think if we are already visiting Neuschwanstein castles , then it might be redundant for us to go to another castle.it would seem that Hallstatt as a stop over would be ideal but I am abit concerned that being a weekend, we might not be able to get accommodation so I was wondering what would be the next best town around Hallstatt to stay overnight in the event there may be none available in Halstatt?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,947 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

The Herrenchiemsee and Neuschwanstein are quite different - with time it's worth a visit to both.

Teplow gives you great advice, though the Eagle's Nest name in German is "Kehlsteinhaus". Personally I was a bit underwhelmed by it.

Beyond Hallstatt you could head to Bischofshofen or, perhaps better though a little further, Zell am See for the night.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

Thank you. You've been such a great help!

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

I am keen on the plan of driving from Halstatt through to Fussen but is via inssbruck the fastest way or are there any quicker routes?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving directions from Durnstein to Fussen

Look at the map, and you will see that it is the most direct way, and a good portion of it on the autobahn. I would avoid going via Mittenwald - Garmisch, because of teh time it takes to drive through Garmisch. Instead, as I suggested, continue on the autobahn past Innsbruck to the Telfs exit and take the Fernpass (Route 179) toLermoos - Reutte/Fuessen.

If you can't find a place to stay in Hallstatt, drive on to Bischofshofen. Bad Ischl is another option, but that would make the drive to Fuessen that muxh longer. You will wlays find a place to stay in a "Zimmer Frei", rooms that peoiple rent out. Usually with breakfast. Just look for the signs "Zimmer Frei".