We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Night in Vienna

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
620 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
First Night in Vienna

We arrive into Vienna in the evening around 8 pm local time and I am trying to figure out things we can do then. I have thought we could first visit Prater but I would appreciate some suggestions on things to do on your first night in Vienna (since our first day is spent traveling to Vienna). Looking for ideas Excluding pubs/bars.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,774 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Night in Vienna

Where will you be staying?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Night in Vienna

Looking at your other posts, I assume you will be staying at the Hilton. Personally, I would not choose the Prater for getting your first impression of Vienna. At night, it is one of the few places in Vienna that can be a bit dodgy. Not only will you find clusters of (mostly) harmless drunks, but also, especially on a weekend or holiday, loads of obnoxious teenagers headed towards the clubs within the amusement park area of the Prater. If you are really set on visiting the Prater (I assume the Ferris Wheel?), then I would suggest going in the daytime.

Alternately, you could take a stroll partly around the Ring. After a day of travel, I figure it would be good to stretch your legs a bit. Walking from your hotel towards the Ring, head left once you hit the ring. Your stroll would finish at the Rathaus. Along the way, many options for schnitzel or wurst, as well at many famous sites.

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
620 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Night in Vienna

What about taking a ride around the Ringstrasse? Prater can easily be thrown out as we saw nothing to really draw us there but knew it was open at night. Since we arrive around 7 pm and are staying at the Hilton near Stadpark, any evening activities other than the ring would be much appreciated.

Also does anyone know if there is a Wine Festival going on in Vienna around the first of June? I had read some where that one was but don't know if it meant 2012.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,509 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Night in Vienna

I'd really stroll the bit Cherries suggests. It's a relaxed half hour walk with. Few golden opportunities for coffee and cake (or even dinner) on the way. The buildings are beautifully illuminated and make great photos - something you can't appreciate the same from a tram.

Haus de Musik is open late if you want something particular to do, but a stroll and some refreshment should be enough for your first evening.

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
620 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Night in Vienna

thank you are we were at a loss for thing to do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First Night in Vienna

Wine Festival:

http://www.vievinum.com/

June 2 to 4 at the Hofburg Palace

Edited: 31 May 2012, 06:50
7. Re: First Night in Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:16