We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

Hi,

We are planning a 11 day trip flying into and out of Prague in mid-July. We would like to spend 3-4 days in Prague and Vienna each but also go to Cesky Krumlove and spend some time (2-3 nights) in small scenic towns in southern CZ or the Wachau Valley. What do you think is best? I am trying to figure out whether we should rent a car in Cesky Krumlov and drive from there or whether it would make more sense to take a train or shuttle to Vienna and explore from there. We enjoy beautiful small towns, wineries,art, nice scenery and gourmet food. I would appreciate any thoughts on how to best use our time to have a countryside experience. I have read about towns like Mikulov and Durnstein but am not sure how to put this all together into one trip. I am happy to pay a little more for a rental car to have a really nice experience if that is better than public transportation. Here are 2 options but I would appreciate any help with itinerary ideas!! Have not booked flights yet so have a little flexibility.

Option 1:

Days 1-4 Prague

Day 5: Cesky-Krumlov (take private tour or bus to get there). Overnight C-K

Day 6-7: Southern CZ (small towns--where is best??)

Day 8-10: Vienna (with day trip to Wachau Valley--public transportation)

Day 11: Travel directly to Prague to fly out

Option 2

Days 1-4 Prague (bus to C-K)

Day 5: Cesky-Krumlov (bus or train to Vienna)

Day 6-9: Vienna

Day 8-10: Rent car and drive to Wachau Valley--overnight in Durnstein

Day 11: Drop car in Linz and take train to Prague

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,178 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: 11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

I like the sound of option 2 better. I wouldn't lumber yourself with a car in Vienna - you'll not use it whilst there (though you'd still be paying hire charges) and potentially have high parking charges as well.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: 11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

Thank you so much!

3. Re: 11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:41