We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

Hi,

We are planning a 11 day trip flying into and out of Prague in mid-July. We would like to spend 3-4 days in Prague and Vienna each but also go to Cesky Krumlove and spend some time (2-3 nights) in small scenic towns in southern CZ or the Wachau Valley. What do you think is best? I am trying to figure out whether we should rent a car in Cesky Krumlov and drive from there or whether it would make more sense to take a train or shuttle to Vienna and explore from there. We enjoy beautiful small towns, wineries,art, nice scenery and gourmet food. I would appreciate any thoughts on how to best use our time to have a countryside experience. I have read about towns like Mikulov and Durnstein but am not sure how to put this all together into one trip. I am happy to pay a little more for a rental car to have a really nice experience if that is better than public transportation. Here are 2 options but I would appreciate any help with itinerary ideas!! Have not booked flights yet so have a little flexibility.

Option 1:

Days 1-4 Prague

Day 5: Cesky-Krumlov (take private tour or bus to get there). Overnight C-K

Day 6-7: Southern CZ (small towns--where is best??)

Day 8-10: Vienna (with day trip to Wachau Valley--public transportation)

Day 11: Travel directly to Prague to fly out

Option 2

Days 1-4 Prague (bus to C-K)

Day 5: Cesky-Krumlov (bus or train to Vienna)

Day 6-9: Vienna

Day 8-10: Rent car and drive to Wachau Valley--overnight in Durnstein

Day 11: Drop car in Linz and take train to Prague

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Wachau Valley
Wachau Valley
360 Reviews
Joching, Austria
Cesky Krumlov
Cesky Krumlov
South Bohemian Region, Czech Republic
Linz
Linz
Upper Austria, Austria
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,240 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

I like the sound of option 2 better. I wouldn't lumber yourself with a car in Vienna - you'll not use it whilst there (though you'd still be paying hire charges) and potentially have high parking charges as well.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

Thank you so much!

3. Re: 11 day itinerary Prague-Vienna--small town & rental car help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:41
;