We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ship and weather on classic round voyage in mid September

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
71 reviews
ship and weather on classic round voyage in mid September

Hi everyone

We're on the Hurtigruten classic round voyage beginning 18th September - on one of the smaller ships, The Nordstjernen. Couple of questions please:

1. Has anyone been on this ship recently - I read very conflicting reviews of cabin size and so on on the Internet. We are in cabin A212 - understand it's bunk beds?

2. I know that rain will be likely around Bergen but how will it be as we go further North? Rainy? Snow? Warm?

Thanks for any help - much appreciated.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: ship and weather on classic round voyage in mid September

Lucky you, Nordstjernen is a marvellous little ship.

When we on her we had managed to get one of the few cabins with beds which was big, but I suspect you will find that your cabin is quite small (we saw no others but our own so can't be certain, but she is an old ship and I believe there is much less conformity in cabins than on Lofoten).

Weather wise is down to luck - especially once in the Arctic where anything can happen. September is one of the wetter months along all the coast. If you intend to spend much time on deck (which I strongly recommend) you will need to be well wrapped up at times - a lot can depend on sun/cloud, direction of wind/boat and so on. On a sunny day you can boil one minute and freeze the next.

Enjoy!

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: ship and weather on classic round voyage in mid September

2. From Bergen to Ålesund you should be prepared for rain. Up north it is actually much drier (on average). It is very unlikely that you will experience frost in September along the coast. You may see some snow in the air, and there may be fresh snow on the highest summits.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: ship and weather on classic round voyage in mid September

September will be great for you. All the colours of autumn is coming up.

Maybe you will experience some weather but that is what Norway is much about.

I think the Norwegians are shaped from the relative harsh conditions that surrounds them.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: ship and weather on classic round voyage in mid September

Thanks All - very helpful.

We're not worried about the weather - we usually go North (Iceland, Sweden. Finland, Russia so far) in February and postively like the cold - but we just weren't sure what to expect in September - or what we should pack!Looks like waterproofs to me.

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
5. Re: ship and weather on classic round voyage in mid September

Here is a link to some photos of the ship Nordstjernen which include 3 photos of cabins.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/65216349

(Best quality is to click on the first photo, and then “next”, rather than using the slideshow option.)

There are two of cabin number 215, here for single occupancy with the upper bunk raised. I don’t have the number of the other cabin with the more built in bunks.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: ship and weather on classic round voyage in mid September

thank you so much - brilliant photos. Really. really looking forward to the trip - only 2 weeks to go!

7. Re: ship and weather on classic round voyage in mid September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 07:23