We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo during Christmas

4 posts
Oslo during Christmas

Hi, I am planning a trip to Oslo from 23rd - 28th December.

What are my options? Understand that a number of attractions will be closed during Christmas period. Please advise!

8 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,596 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Oslo during Christmas

Pretty much everything will be closed from 24th afternoon to morning of 27th. Public transport will run to special timetables, usually similar to Sunday schedule. There will be some convenience shops open on 26th. Most restaurants will be closed.

Check individual opening times of attractions and look up VisitOslo web nearer the time.

Edited: 09 July 2018, 09:21
4 posts
2. Re: Oslo during Christmas

Hi Dyoll, can you advise what are the attractions or scenery that are available for tourists like me during that period?

How about Christmas Markets?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,596 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Oslo during Christmas

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/search/…

Much of this information will refer to Christmas 2017. It will be updated nearer the time - but should give you some idea.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Oslo during Christmas

This is really not the best time to visit Norway/Oslo as it almost completely closes down during Christmas. Can't think of anything being open! Maybe some restaurants will be open, but all shops close early on Christmas Day and remains closed until the 27th - then with reduced hours. Most tourist destinations will be closed so better check webside before going. Most Norwegians will spend Christmas with their family, often away from the city, so Oslo will look rather unpopulated 😬

4 posts
5. Re: Oslo during Christmas

Hello all, How about any day tour? Is it possible to see Northern Light from Oslo or any day tour available for that?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,596 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Oslo during Christmas

No realistic chance of northern lights in Oslo - you have to travel to Tromsø or similar up north for that.

There is a bit more life over Christmas in Tromsø - perhaps you should change your destination to Tromsø?

https://www.visittromso.no/en

Edited: 15 July 2018, 09:29
4 posts
7. Re: Oslo during Christmas

Even the Toboggan Run: KORKETREKKEREN? I am now planning to travel to Tromso as well and cut short the duration in Oslo.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,596 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Oslo during Christmas

The toboggan run is always open but the hire shops may be closed - though as this is a Chrismassy thing to do they are possibly open on 26th. Question is whether there would be suitable conditions.

Reply to: Oslo during Christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted