We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental "scams"

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
Car rental "scams"

Just want to give you heads up of an incident I had this week with Sixt in Oslo. Since I did not take before/after pictures of the rental car, which I have never had to do during the 20 years I have been travelling for work, Sixt is now claiming a paint damage which I have not caused. This behaviour seems systematic when I look at the web, and a trap and company which I will avoid in the future. Beware!

66 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Car rental "scams"

I have 40+ years experience of renting cars in many countries, and I have run into similar incidents several times. My general experience is:

1) If you rent directly from the company in question at their going rate, they are usually not fuzzy about minor damages, whether they are your fault or not. They are concerned about their reputation in the market.

2) If, OTOH you have rented the car through a third-party agency at a discounted rate, they try their best to get their money back. Fairly simple, isn't it?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Car rental "scams"

Absolutely agree with both of your points. That is why Sixt's behaviour is so confusing. And something to be aware of before entering into a contract with them - and the lack of consumer focus I have seen so far makes me very unlikely to use them again.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,812 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Car rental "scams"

Trawl through the forum and you'll find similar complaints about every car hire co. Lessons are:

- check car carefully before driving off and make sure all damage is noted,

- hire directly from the company,

- get an annual car hire excess insurance policy if you don't want to pay exorbitant day rates,

- stick to one company and get their loyalty/discount card.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,812 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Car rental "scams"

Actually there is very little discussion/complaints about car hire on the Norway forum - if you compare with e.g. Ireland and Iceland

California
Level Contributor
89 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Car rental "scams"

But does Norway have any such local rental companies like in Iceland ? I guess car rental doesn't cost as much as other things in Norway whereas in Iceland it's different..So many companies and unless you are renting before checking the review of the companies it's very risky.

I'm renting from Hertz in Rygge airport next week, rented directly from them, hopefully it would be OK!

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,417 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Car rental "scams"

Renting a car is relatively expensive in Norway, so consider a compact car with a moderate engine to keep rates down. You can sometimes rent a cheap car from the local garage, and of course from Rent-a-wreck and perhaps a few other companies not part of international chain (like Avis, Hertz)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,812 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Car rental "scams"

I've always found Hertz to be as cheap as any and never had any hassle with them - but I guess if you trawl the forums you'll find complaints about them too. If you are travelling with Ryanair you get a good discount going through their site - but your contract is still directly with Hertz (or whichever company you go with). Similarly booking a hire car through other airline milage cards usually gets you a discount. Getting a loyalty card also gets you a discount.

There was a thread about Rent-A-Wreck on the forum a few months ago - big hassle picking up car and delivering at airport for a meagre saving - and be careful their cheap rates have limited mileage.

Maple Valley
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
8. Re: Car rental "scams"

I had the exact same experience this week with Sixt at Oslo Airport. I was given a damage slip that showed minor scratches on areas that were all written in Norwegian. I was told that if I noticed any other damage, just note iit on the paper (no English) and/or take photos. Upon returning the car, no one was there to check me in. One leaves the car in the garage and drops off the key at the rental counter. Two days later I received an e-mail stating that paint and scratch damage was found on lower rear side fender and it would cost me over $750.00 to repair it unless I could provide photos of no damage upon return. I've never heard of this idiotic procedure in my forty years of renting! I did not have any damage to the car but can't prove it because no one was on hand to verify, and I failed to take photos. Never again will I rent from Sixt!

9. Re: Car rental "scams"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 17:06

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,336 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: Car rental "scams"

Reported !

Reply to: Car rental "scams"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted