We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigruten - May or September

New York
2 posts
Hurtigruten - May or September

Greetings,

My friend and I are trying to decide whether to take the northbound journey in May (sometime between 10th and 25th) or September (between 5th and 20th) of this year. Hurtigruten offers different discounts during these months, but we figured out that the final price, including airfare from New York, is about the same. We're wondering if May might still be quite cold and too uncomfortable to stand on the deck or go on land tours. Which month do you recommend?

Thank you,

Lucy

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

Lucy,

Welcome to TA.

May may be a little cooler but is likely to be a lot drier.

May will give you 24 hours daylight for most of the trip and midnight sun in the north. September will give you much less daylight.

May will see a fair bit of snow on the hills in the north which I think adds spice to the scenery. September may give autumn colours.

May 17th is National Day which is interesting to see.

For my money - May.

Michael

Bournemouth, Dorset
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

I agree.

Have travelled in late April and September and found the weather to be brighter in April. Added that there is still snow on the mountains as Michael says provides a beautiful contrast.

September was very rainy for the entire trip north.

London
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

I did the round trip at the end of September 2006. It was beautiful, the weather was more often dry and clear, but boy was it cold up at the Northern end.

I'd not let that put me off - take thin but warm clothes and layer.

The voyage part is beautiful, the places you stop - sometimes just for 15 minutes - are cute/interetsing.very speicla depending on which one you;re talking about. The smallest places often have interesting little museums to walk around and a chanc to buy pop and biscuits, the larger places - Trondheim for example - are worth a longer look, but the ship-organised tours are worthwile and interesting.

To answer your question ... either could be cold. Think thin and layers plus a fleece lined hat with flaps and some good gloves and you'l;l be ok on shjip and omn land.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
66 posts
4. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

We are going on the Hurtigruten 8th May so hopefully we will have good weather. We are travelling northward one way. We are not sure whether to take our swimming costumes. Also wondering what sort of food we will be eating. We haven't booked any tours, guess we will take pot luck when we get to ports of call. Would love to hear any reports on the trip.

Thank you Janet

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,239 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

Hmmm, swimsuits for indoor pools....perhaps

you can of course swim in the ocean, but don't expect pleasant australian temperatures.

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,239 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

May is the driest month, often clear weather (but no guarantee).

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
7. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

If I’ve calculated correctly 8th May out of Bergen would be aboard the ship Richard With which does now have outdoor jacuzzi installed so maybe take that swimsuit! More importantly, as others have said take layers of clothing and be adaptable to any kind of weather. I like that time of year in Norway.

If your booking includes meals then expect buffet breakfast and lunches (lots of choice at lunch including hot dishes) and a set meal for dinner (no choice, but they post up the menu earlier in the day and if it is something you can’t eat you can arrange an alternative).

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
8. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

OOps, just realised that 8 May departure date was strangeybrisbane and not the original poster lupete!!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
66 posts
9. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

Thank you so much for everyone who replied to my message. I just double checked, we leave on 7th May on Nordlys, think I will take my costume, they are light in the bag, and as we are going to Europe, we might get a chance of another swim. As for meals, hopefully we won't get an option of reindeer, don't think I could eat that.

Thanks, Janet

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
10. Re: Hurtigruten - May or September

Janet, Best remember to check the dinner menu each morning to be sure of ordering an alternative to R!!

No jacuzzi on Nordlys, but I have a selection of 20 photos of the ship. They are not on the TA forum, so just paste this addresses into your browser:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/58848875

You can then click on the thumbnails to view each picture individually. To see them all in sequence I think it’s best to click on the first thumbnail and then subsequently on "next" on the top right (rather than using the slideshow option which is poor quality for these reduced resolution images).