We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use of Credit Card in Norway

HK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Use of Credit Card in Norway

Hi,

I understand that PIN is required to complete the payment process in Norway, however, it is not required in my home so that the credit card service provider doesn't provide it for us. Anyone could advise if I still could use it in Norway?

Regards,

Victor

21 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,420 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

You would need some cash as such cards are not accepted with vending machines for example. Perhaps get a prepaid cash card with chip and pin ?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

No problem with chip&sign with the exceptions that klimaflykning states.

But since extremely few countries don't do chip&pin some cashiers might be slightly confused and there might be a scramble to find a pen (best to carry your own).

HK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

I plan to use card for restaurants, supermarket, souvenir shop, etc and for those paying the bill manually. BTW, I will apply paypass/paywave for my Master card as it doesn't need PIN and can advise whether this paying system is available in Norway.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,420 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

You mean contactless ? Yes, that is available for up to NOK 200. For higher amounts, you still need the pin.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

Contactless (paywave=Visa / paypass=MasterCard) is not very rolled out in Norway yet, but some places has it (just look for the symbol on the terminal).

As klimaflyktning states it is limited upwards to 200 NOK, above that you either need to insert the card or enter Pin/sign (depends on the terminal - have experienced both).Also every 5th contactless transaction will require you to insert the card.

HK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

Is still need to provide PIN for paying the bill in restaurant or supermarket? When we are using credit card in our home, we have to sign the print-out to confirm the authorization. Is the same mechanism to confirm the authorization apply in Norway?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

If you have chip&sign then it will work the same in Norway as back home. YOu stick the card into the card terminal, press "OK" when prompted and then sign one of the receipts the printer spits out.

It's just that cashiers can be unfamiliar with chip&sign (since almost every other country in the world has gone for chip&pin) so it can confuse them. And they might not have pens available since they are rarely used.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
517 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

When we travel outside US, we use credit cards (chip & sign) where there is an attendant whether a supermarket or hotel or fuel station. However, where there was no attendant then we used our bank cards with credit card option and worked perfectly with chip & pin.

Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

Thank you for bringing this up...we had the same question.

We called our visa company (who doesn't charge any foreign transaction fees) and they also said there is no pin for credit card use for purchases. The card has a chip. In USA we insert card and then machine spits out paper to sign. The card company said there is no pin either. (Pin is only for cash advances and extremely expensive fees for that which we never use,) We have been to many international countries (mostly Asian and Canada, Australian New Zealand/Caribbeans) and had never used a pin for credit card purchases either. Its always signature of a piece of paper. So this is the first I have heard of this.

So we had the same question as the OP.

So in the case where there is no attendant as ChicagoITguy mentioned...we would not be able to use card then cause we do not have a pin for purchase? So basically have to find a place with attendant...which I assume supermarkets, hotels, gas stations etc has anyway...correct?

Thanks.

PS..I normally do not tag onto others thread but thought it was a continueing subject...rather than start a new thread...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
517 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

@Happy H

As I mentioned before you've to select credit card and use your bankcard with pin (chip & pin). FYI... The only US bank card, I've found , with fee waiver even internationally is Charles Schwab but you need to open both checking and investment accounts at the same time.

Also... You've to call your bank before leaving the country to open up the credit card for country you're visiting (or even before visiting if you are making pre-visit purchase). You're right that using pin with US card is considered cash advance.

Edited: 16 April 2018, 21:15
Reply to: Use of Credit Card in Norway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted