We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use of Credit Card in Norway

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
Use of Credit Card in Norway

Hi,

I understand that PIN is required to complete the payment process in Norway, however, it is not required in my home so that the credit card service provider doesn't provide it for us. Anyone could advise if I still could use it in Norway?

Regards,

Victor

21 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
42 posts
11. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

Yes we have a Schwab card -- and because that is cash advance it has pin...its basically like a debit card..not credit card...

But with regular credit card -- we have a British Airway Visa -- no foreign transaction fee-- called them and as the OP situation...there is no pin for purchases---it would be chip and sign situation ... again purchases like buying at grocery store, buying gas..I guess in reading the original post in Norway chip with pin is more common?

so in case no attendant at these places we cannot use card since there is no pin available...like the OP said..we need a piece of paper to sign

We definitely would call Schwab or any credit card company to let them know we are traveling out of country those certain times...thanks for heads up though...

Edited: 16 April 2018, 21:19
Level Contributor
42 posts
12. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

We also have the habit of brining little US cash with us in case something happens with card (lost or stolen) ....in which case I assume banks or hotels can convert to Noregian Krone if need be..(mainly for emergeny purposes as rates are better with Schwab debit card atm)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
565 posts
20 reviews
13. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

As I wrote before, select credit card option at non-attendant location such as a fuel pump or ticket vending machine and then use your Charles Schwab bankcard with pin. Don't use the debit/bankcard option there as it won't work.

If needed, use your CS card at ATM and it will give you best rate. I always keep a paper list of bank card nos with the toll free and collect call nos and take my other bank cards as backup.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
28 reviews
14. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

Happy H - extremely few banks handle cash these days and more or less every bank I know of have discountinued offering currency exchange. There are a couple of currency exchange offices in the large cities,but that's about it.

A hotel might do it for you at a ridicilous rate, but that might in fact depend on if any of the staff are heading to the US in the near future (so the hotel can easilt get rid of the USD again,since getting their bank to exchange it is a hassle and huge cost).

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
36 reviews
15. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

Cash you get from ATM. Make sure you have minimum 2 credit cards and kept in two separate locations so there is no risk of both being lost/stolen together.

Level Contributor
42 posts
16. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

Understood now! Thanks so much!

Nittedal...
Level Contributor
305 posts
8 reviews
17. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

> I guess in reading the original post in Norway chip with pin is more common?

chip+pin is the default in most if not all Europe (can't tell for UK, haven't been there the last 15 years) included all Russia and even some Central Asia (Kazakhstan for instance). Shops, supermarkets, basically anywhere there is a payment terminal, ticket machines (transportation, railway stations, ...)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
18. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

I just called the bank and ask whether he could give me a pin for use in some un-attend fueling station. However, the answer was negative and I asked to pay cash instead. I understand that lot of fueling station may be attended and I have to make it works beforehand. Anyone have a similar experience with their card without pin could process payment in un-attend vending machine or fueling station.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
36 reviews
19. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

How would you pay cash in an unattended petrol station? They only have card machines for payment.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
20. Re: Use of Credit Card in Norway

That means I can't use unattend fueling station if I don't have pin.

Reply to: Use of Credit Card in Norway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted