We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?

I am planning ahead for a family trip to Russia, Estonia, Sweden and Norway in December/January 2019, 2 adults and our 11 year old son. We fly into Bergen from Tromso (arriving in the middle of the day 9/1, and I currently have 9/1 and 10/1 accommodation booked in Bergen, and then have 11/1 available as well before we need to be in Oslo on 12/1.

We are relying on public transport as we are not used to driving in snow and icy conditions so I think that will be safer.

I have done a lot of reading on the NiN trips, but am having trouble identifying what there is to do in the towns on the route,especially in winter, and also how or if, to incorporate the other towns that are side trips from the route, e.g Balestrand??

My questions are:

Is one day enough to do a Bergen to Bergen loop and then we could fly to Oslo?

Would we be better doing a 2 day trip with a stop somewhere, in which case where should we stop?

If 2 days should we return to Bergen and fly to Oslo or carry on with the train? By booking this far ahead fights are reasonable.

Are there any opportunities for dog sledding?

Is there any budget accommodation, everything I look at seems upwards of 2000 NOK for a night, but I am guessing there may be other options not listed on trip advisor?

Should we add in any detours from the main route?

Thanks in advance for all your advice. The more I read the more confused I become!

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Tromso
Tromso
Troms, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
7 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,446 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?

There is not a lot "to do" along the NiN route at the best of times - the transport is the sightseeing. Winter is a bit of a challenge though as you need to get the highlights within the short winter daylight hours. You may have to spend a night in Flåm, but it may be ok in one day depending on the winter schedule for next winter season.

Dog sledding is best done while in Tromsø if the snow conditions allow. Otherwise you would have to make a stop on the NiN at a ski resort like Geilo, where I think dog sledding is offered. Your time frame is a bit constraining though.

NOK 2000 for three persons b&b - well that IS budget accomodation. Bergen has plenty of airbnb options in apartments - perhaps save in Bergen and "splurge" elsewhere ?

Balestrand is not available off season, no convenient transport from Flåm and no accomodation open.

Edited: 15 April 2018, 06:50
Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,446 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?

And oh, I forgot. Unless your NiN coincides with the Christmas holiday transport rush, you may save on the NiN by doing a DIY.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?

Looking at hotel prices this far ahead they probably just post rack rates - wait until nearer the time. Pretty much all accommodation is now found on the booking engines or AirBnB. Travelling from Bergen on the NiN there is not much of a problem with daylight. Mid winter Flåm will be pretty miserable - I'd skip the overnight there and rather enjoy the extra time in Bergen or Oslo. 11th Jan is a Friday - likely to be a busy day on the trains as people travelling for the weekend so prices will be higher. If you want to save travel on 10th.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?

OK have done a bit more reading and am starting to understand.So given that the days will be short and it is not recommended to overnight in Flam, should we do the short loop (back to Bergen) and then fly to Oslo, and skip the 5.5 hours on the train - which I imagine will be in darkness? While only rack rates are on offer at hotels, the one advantage of booking this early is that cheap flights are available! Sara

Mentioned in this post
Flam
Flam
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,446 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?

That would be a matter of preference - with time frame constrictions, the most efficient would be the Bergen-Oslo option.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?

See little point in backtracking to Bergen, airport transfers and flight. Will take far longer than 5 ½ hours, cost more and still be in the dark. Snooze on the train.

Book flights and cancellable hotel booking. Cancell and rebook if better deals come up.

Edited: 15 April 2018, 17:38
Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?

Thanks, the plan is much clearer now!

Reply to: Hw to see Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen to Oslo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;