We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigruten Cruise

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
13 reviews
Hurtigruten Cruise

We are thinking of doing a cruise, either this Sept or the following April. We would like to see the Northern Lights, but this isn't our priority, which of these months, if either would give us the best opportunity to do so? We would like also like to travel in better weather, again which month would be better?

At the moment we are unsure of whether to do the round trip or finish in Kirkenes, if we depart there are flights included in the price back to Oslo?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
198 reviews
1. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

"We associate the northern lights with winter, but in fact they are there all the year. It is just that we cannot see them on light nights; the sun has to be belowe the horizon. In practice, in northern Norway the northern lights are limited to the period from the beginning of September to the middle of April. Intens auroras can, however, be seen against a very light sky. In northern Norway it is, for example, not uncommon to see the northern lights in an evening sky in August."

www.tgo.uit.no/articl/theaurora.html

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
2. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

If you choose the package holiday Classic Voyage North from Bergen to Kirkenes, the flight Kirkenes/Oslo is included in the price, as is one hotel night in Oslo, but not the international flights to and from the UK. See the webpage

www.hurtigruten.co.uk/classic_north.asp

and then click on the prices on the left where it says 2008 Voyage North. (Prices for April 2009 are not yet shown.)

Another possibility if you don’t want to do the complete round trip is to disembark in Trondheim, thus doing the most interesting part of the southbound voyage. This itinerary is described on the website as Classic Norwegian Explorer and includes nights in Trondheim and Oslo.

I have not travelled on this route in September. The weather is unpredictably variable at any time of year, but I have enjoyed sun and scenic snow in the north in April.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

September is great. You will have all the colours from autmn.

In the north you may even experience snow. September is still too early for winter storms. Anyway - you can never predict the weather here.

I think I would prefer the roundtrip.

Traveling with hurtigruten can be very relaxing. However it takes some time to calm down. By the way you have calmed down you may already be in Kirkenes?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

Thanks for all the replies... on the price list www.hurtigruten.co.uk/classic_north.asp (in pdf) what do the coloured initials at the top mean?

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
5. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

The initials refer to the grade of cabin. These are colour coded on the cabin plans of the ships which you can see by going to the home page www.hurtigruten.co.uk and selecting the ships from the drop-down menu under Norway on the top strip.

I usually choose grade N cabins or occasionally P. Generally the cabins on higher decks are more expensive, but there are also Grade I inside cabins with no window, and L are cabins with limited view for some reason such as looking out onto lifeboats or equipment. The most usual layout is 2 beds, one which folds up against the wall, and the other converts into a settee. They have shower, wash basin and toilet, with some exceptions on the two remaining older ships in the fleet.

You probably won’t actually spend too much time in your cabin. The public lounges have great views and in reasonable weather you’ll want to be out on deck.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

Thanks, which ship would you recommend, we'd prefer a more modern ship and the outdoor jacuzzi's sound good. Does it depend on what day you travel as to which ship is going out?

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
7. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

A ship leaves Bergen once a day, arriving back in Bergen on day 12 and then starting out again that evening for it’s next round trip. So the ship you’d be on depends on the exact date of departure, not just the day of the week.

Check the website ((Sailing Schedules in the drop-down list under Norway) to find out which ship leaves Bergen on a specific date.

If you prefer the modern ships, then Finnmarken, Trollfjord and Midnatsol are the newest.

England, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

Is there transport available from (central) Brugen to the Hurtigruten ship?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

A taxi from the vicinity of Bryggen was 100 NOK in 2007.

Barbara

Europe
Level Contributor
370 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Hurtigruten Cruise

MS Finnmarken is the only ship with a jacuzzi - a great experience I can recommand!!

As someone said, just figure out when MS Finnmarken leaves Bergen Northbound (be carefull to check the timetable for the right season).

From Bergen airport, there is a public bus that will bring you downtown, from where you can take a taxi to the pier (the distance is too long to walk, especially if you have large/heavy suitcases).

Enjoy planning a wonderfull voyage!!