We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Wallsend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
268 reviews
Save Topic
DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

DFDS closes its car ferry route from Newcastle to Norway on 1st September 2008 because it is "uneconomic" to run (press release on www.dfds.com )

This could be the first serious break in the UK/Norway services since Bergen Line opened the route in 1890.

This is easy to overcome by flying from Newcastle to either Stavanger (direct) or Bergen (one stop). Then you can hire a car which is very expensive, and your luggage is seriously restricted.

However, the alternative ferry routes are not at all attractive due to long drives at each end. (Newcastle - Nedtherlands or Esjberg - Denmark)

This would seem to be the end for those wishing to take their car from Newcastle for a motoring holiday there.

If any one hears of the unlikely possibility a new company taking over the route I would be pleased to hear about it.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Stavanger
Stavanger
Stavanger Municipality, Norway
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Wow, what a disaster. I had already started planning for spring next year.

I agree with your analysis, if I can't take the car and have to fly.....I will probably choose another country, though I will realy miss the unique scenery.

Let's hope another company steps in.

Thanks for the info - appreciated.

newcastle
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Unfortunately this has happened at the worst time possible-my girlfriend is going to Bergen for 3 months and needs to bring her car plus lots of stuff!

What would be your suggested route from Netherlands/Esjberg to Bergen?

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Wallsend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Possible routes from Newcastle are shown on DFDS Seaways map at

dfdsseaways.co.uk/DSW/…

or just use the links from http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk

1- Newcastle to Amsterdam - drive to Copenhagen - take DFDS to Oslo

2 - Harwich - Esjberg, drive to Copenhagen as above

3- As 2 but drive over the bridge from Denmark to Sweden and then drive into Norway via Oslo.

All are pretty tortuous and expensive ways to get to Norway by car in my view.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Norway
Norway
Europe
Aalesund, Norway
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Possible route:

Ferry Harwich-Esbjerg.

Drive from Esbjerg to Hirtshals, north Denmark - approx. 350 km.

Ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand in south Norway.

http://www.colorline.com/

Drive from Kristiansand to Bergen.

http://tinyurl.com/62u5jq

Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Kristiansand
Kristiansand
Vest-Agder, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
newcastle
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Thanks for the advice guys.

Think flying will now be the best option, even with paying some money for excess baggae the cost and convienience are worth it!

Oslo
Level Contributor
16,717 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Bergen has direct flights from Amsterdam, Gatwick, Aberdeen and Edinburgh. If you are flexible on the dates you can find really cheap tickets. Ryanair has flights from Stansted to Haugesund (halfway between Bergen and Stavanger).

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Stavanger
Stavanger
Bendigo, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

So much for seeing Scandinavia then! Next Northern Hemisphere summer I was planning on flying from Australia to London, hiring a motorcycle and travelling up to Scotland, catching the ferry to Bergen then returning to London via Sweden, Denmark,Germany and Holland. Guess I'll just spend my money in the Alps instead. Too bad.

George Glover, Bendigo, Australia.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Ozbiker,

The Faroese ferry company Smyril has a Bergen - Scrabster (north coast of Scotland) sailing as part of a complicated weekly schedule.

You may want to see if that helps you. See:

www.smyril-line.com/SAILING_SCHEDULE.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Wallsend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

I looked at the Scrabster-Bergen routebut discarded it as being worse from Newcastle than going via Ijmuiden, driving North and paying for extra hotel nights and petrol.

I need to stop for 1 night on the way from Newcastle to Scrabster if I go that way, then as has been said, the timetable to Bergen is pretty complex - so much so that their timetable could only find me a DIRECT journey from 14 June to late August - not the period we want to go. The fare a reasnable though.

As for the suggestions of flying - you cannot take your car and all the gear for a touring holiday, and a two week rental in Norway can cost about £600 depending on the exchange rate.

From Newcastle there are a few good options like Newcastle to Stavanger direct or Bergen via Copenhagen or (2hr longer) Amsterdam.

The scheduled economy fares are about £700 return, but I find I can get it for around £300 through a booking aagent.

Virtually all of the options from Newcastle add £400 or more to the old DFDS car+passenger fare and other than flying add at least 4 days to a round trip.

If you live in Southern England you have a head's start with the ferry from Harwich to Esjberg, or straigth through the Chunnel and drive up. But this is really abouth the loss of the convenient Newcasgtle/Bwergen route for us Northerners, so that doesn't count.

When I go on the Northern Lights trip on Hurtigruten in January, we do not need a lot of gear and we will in fact fly Newcadtl-Copenhagen-Bergen where 15kg lugage allowance just gets us through the voyage without using the laundrette. Not that we think flying is at all convenient even though it is a litlle quicker (only a £20 taxi journey and 5 hours in airport lounges each way ;-) )

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Norway
Norway
Europe
Stavanger
Stavanger
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
England
England
United Kingdom
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Tynes1der,

"When I go on the Northern Lights trip on Hurtigruten in January, we do not need a lot of gear"

But you will need a lot of very warm clothing for watching the aurora from the deck.

The comment about Smyril was directed not at you but at ozbiker who piggybacked into your thread.