We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

Wallsend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
272 reviews
DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

DFDS closes its car ferry route from Newcastle to Norway on 1st September 2008 because it is "uneconomic" to run (press release on www.dfds.com )

This could be the first serious break in the UK/Norway services since Bergen Line opened the route in 1890.

This is easy to overcome by flying from Newcastle to either Stavanger (direct) or Bergen (one stop). Then you can hire a car which is very expensive, and your luggage is seriously restricted.

However, the alternative ferry routes are not at all attractive due to long drives at each end. (Newcastle - Nedtherlands or Esjberg - Denmark)

This would seem to be the end for those wishing to take their car from Newcastle for a motoring holiday there.

If any one hears of the unlikely possibility a new company taking over the route I would be pleased to hear about it.

Wallsend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
272 reviews
11. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

I just wanted to express my view again that despite a lot of thought about alternatives there is nothing to to replace the price and convenience of the old DFDS/Fjordline route from Newcastle for Northerners.

However, the various suggestions for those wishing to motor are most helpful.

As we depart in winter for the Northern Lights, we always 'wear' our cold weather gear over the arm on the way to the airport so that it does not get weighed as part of our luggage allowance, then stuff some of it into the cabin bag in departures until needed at the other end.

Tostedt (near...
1 post
2 reviews
12. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

If you want to take your car or caravan from the UK to Norway the DFDS Tor Line fright ferries are maybe more than an alternative and accept both, but in limited numbers.

dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/…index.htm

When choosing to do the landbridge way via the Esbjerg ferry I suggest you should better drive to the north of Denmark and catch a ferry from there as they are frequent and much cheaper than the one from copenhagen as you also save the bridge charge.

However, it seems like DFDS ceases down each year more and more and is closing one route after another. We even lost our route from Hamburg to Harwich which has first been cut short to Cuxhaven just a couple of years of go, which has also been there likely like ever since and I'm still missing it.

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
13. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

The Scrabster - Bergen route has also now been discontinued!

directferries.co.uk/scrabster_bergen_ferry.h…

…bbc.co.uk/1/…7721684.stm

Wallsend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
272 reviews
14. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

North Tyneside Council has said it is to look into ways of getting a new 'cruise' service between the Tyne and Bergen. Don't hold your breath, but watch this space.

15. Re: DFDS Newcastle to Norway closure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 07:23