We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need ideas from Grethe and others on Hurtigruten tours

New York, New York
1 post
need ideas from Grethe and others on Hurtigruten tours

We are traveling in early August, 2009 on the Hurtigruten round trip from Bergen. Can you suggest which optional tours offered by Hurtigruten are worthwhile taking.Alternatively can we cover the points of interest on our own? We are a middle aged couple interested in culture and history. Adventure sports are not of interest to us. Any other tips on the 12 day cruise would be most welcome

We also will be spending two or three days in Bergen any highlights that you would recommend.

Norway
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
128 reviews
1. Re: need ideas from Grethe and others on Hurtigruten tours

I'm afraid I can't help you with optional tours offered by Hurtigruten, but for your stay in Bergen, check out the city's official website:

http://www.visitbergen.com/default.asp?sp=GB

There are many things to see and do for those who are interested in history and culture. It's hard to pick out highlights, apart from the historic harborside, which is a must!

Have a wonderful trip!

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: need ideas from Grethe and others on Hurtigruten tours

Hhmm, don't know what you mean by "optional tour", sightseeing on shore?

In Trondheim and Ålesund you should take time to stroll around the city. Visit the Norway's national cathedral in Trondheim.

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
3. Re: need ideas from Grethe and others on Hurtigruten tours

An alternative in Trondheim is the excursion to Sverresborg Trøndelag Folk Museum. I very much enjoyed this and it would suit your interest in culture and history ideally. (Check if it is also offered southbound as this would then give you more time northbound if you wanted to walk into the town centre on your own, but remember the ship won’t wait for you if you’re late back!)

Unlike Trondheim, in Tromsø the ship docks right in the town centre. Don’t confuse Polaria with the Polar Museum - for you I’d recommend the Polar Museum (Polarmuseet) which documents the history of polar journeys and expeditions, particularly those which started off from Tromsø. You can easily stroll there on your own - pick up a map – they usually put them out on the ship for these larger towns. The museum is in an old warehouse and there are other old wooden buildings nearby.

Years ago I took the southbound excursion from Svolvær which rejoins the ship in Stamsund. Seems expensive now, but it is an opportunity to see something of the Lofoten Islands other than from the sea, as well as some time in the picturesque fishing village of Henningsvær where you can visit an art gallery.

There are now some short excursions which feature Sami culture and which might possibly be of interest to you but I haven’t been on the specific ones offered from the ship.

London
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: need ideas from Grethe and others on Hurtigruten tours

Hi

You probably ought to look into the road trip into Geiranger, for the scenery and the photo op!

Otherwise, when I did the R/T I enjoyed the =city tour in Trondheim and Tromso - both with Cathedrals, one medieval and one ultra-modern - and the Honningsvag excursion to Skarsvag (rather than to the Norkapp ... the people who opted for the Nordkapp came back to tell us of the fog, fog and fog, whereas we had an interesting look at the fishermens place and a lovely cup of coffee with cake at the Yule Hutte. In Kirkenes the ship offers a tour which is slighlty bizzare - up to the Russian border, little shop selling Russian dolls, then down to the open-cast mining site which is a weird other-wordly place with no vegetation and just the (mostly) abandoned working and some old trucks and buildings .... bizarre, but well worthwhile. Other places, just get off and mooch, There's often a small museum or something, almost always a shop to buy some pop and biscuits, just nice to get off the ship and strech your legs

5. Re: need ideas from Grethe and others on Hurtigruten tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 16:20