We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card use in Norway now

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Credit card use in Norway now

Hi,

I'm traveling from Oslo via Norway in a Nutshell to Bergen in early September. I researched on credit card use in Norway, and it looks like CCs are very widely accepted, just like where I live ( New York City ). One post on TripAdvisor from 2014 suggested that we can go almost cashless in Norway. I will travel with my VISA card with a chip, and am hoping except a few purchases, like the Gudvangen-Voss bus and the airport bus in Bergen, most transactions are possible with my credit card.

However, I read a website that says that in Norway almost anything can be purchased with CCs, but supermarkets don't accept them. Is it true? I will probably heavily rely on supermarkets.

Other expenses I'm hoping to use my CC to pay for are:

1. Attractions. For instance: National Gallery, Fram Museum and Norwegian Folk Museum in Oslo / Edvard Grieg's home in Troldhaugen / Bryggens Museum and the funicular ride in Bergen.

2. Occasional use of public transportation in both Oslo and Bergen: buses, trams, ferries, subways....

I need to decide how much cash I should make before departure, at least to cover the initial cash payments. Can someone give me updated info regarding what is and what is not possible to paid for with CCs?

42 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,033 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

Bergen airport buses accept cards as do supermarkets. Oslo & Bergen transport is by card - you buy your tickets from venidng machines and pay by card. You would need a chip and pin card for the vending machines though.

If you need cash, you withdraw from an ATM.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

Thanks so much for your valuable response so quickly. Visiting a country I have never been to, simple questions like this can be a real riddle. I will carry minimum cash and withdraw as I need more as I travel then!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
199 reviews
3. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

I just returned from two weeks of travel over 1200 miles in Norway. It was not budget type travel, but fwiw, we took $250 out of an ATM upon arrival and ended up with more than we needed by a lot. I would advise getting less cash than you think because truly everywhere accepts credit cards. The one sticking point is this: our credit cards do not have pins. So unlike Norwegians, we have to sign receipts that print out of their credit card readers. No problem. Except when there is no human and just a machine like in automated parking garages and gas stations without attendants. If you don't drive, you may never encounter this. But in these situations, a debit card with a pin comes in useful. So I carried my credit card and U.S. atm card from my home bank. The two together got us through every situation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

Thanks so much, fellow New Yorker, for the latest information! I will do the same as you did: credit card + debit card. Bare minimum cash.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
199 reviews
5. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

One more thing. You probably know this but be sure to have a credit card from a company that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. Capital One is one such card. There are others. You'll get good exchange rates wih a credit card Ike his. Better then with a debit or atm card by a little usually.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

Yes, I have a great credit card for traveling in foreign countries with no foreign transaction fees along with other perks. That's why I posted this question here in the first place, to maximize the benefits of my CC😀. Thanks very much for the reminder!!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo
Level Contributor
969 posts
94 reviews
7. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

Re: the public transportation... You can't use a card to buy tickets from a bus driver (aside from airport and certain long-distance buses), and in Oslo you need a ticket before boarding the subway or tram. I *believe* that the ticket machines will accept a card without a PIN, but I'm not 100% certain (most of my US visitors end up buying a multi-use pass instead of single tickets). If you do have issues with the ticket machines, you can buy tickets using your credit card at convenience stores (7-11, Narvesen, etc).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

I like walking to explore and I can walk quite a bit, so probably I would not be able to take full advantage of a transit pass or Oslo Pass. It is good to know I can purchase transit tickets at convenience stores. Great back-up plan. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

I can't speak for Norway just yet as we just arrived but regarding supermarkets. We went to one in Sweden yesterday and were unable to use our Barclay's. However, from what I've seen, ATMs are plentiful. There was an ATM a few steps away from the checkout so it was easy enough to withdraw just enough SEK for our purchases . I imagine the supermarkets here in Norway would be similar.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
108 reviews
10. Re: Credit card use in Norway now

You can use Visa debit or Visa credit cards in most supermarkets in Norway. They would like to avoid cash to reduce the risks of robbery.

Reply to: Credit card use in Norway now
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted