We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

Brownhills, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
49 reviews
Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

Going for short break in July.

Can you take your own chairs blankets etc on to the beach and do you have to pay ?

What is cost of deck chair if you don't take your own ?

Thanks for any help

8 replies to this topic
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
391 reviews
1. Re: Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

You can take chairs etc onto the beach

Wigan
Level Contributor
158 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

The beach is free, I don't remember seeing any deckchair hire places at Llandudno. If you're eating food or ice cream, beware cheeky gulls; they have been known to snatch food from the hand.

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
672 posts
234 reviews
3. Re: Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

Llandudno has two beaches - the North Shore which is the one most people will know and also the West Shore which is located in a more quiet suburb of the town. Both are free to visit. Personally I'd recommend the West Shore every time. The North Shore is largely covered by pebbles which form part of the (much needed) flood defences which were put in place after Llandudno suffered very bad flooding in 1993. This means there isn't a lot of sand and what sand there is gets completely submerged when the tide comes in. Parking is difficult and there are no toilet facilities nearby so you either have to walk to the end of the pier or into the town centre if you need to "go" unless you're staying a seafront hotel and can return to your room.

The West Shore beach is far more sandy and has much better views than the North Shore. Parking is easy, and free if you park on-street rather than the council car park, there's a nice seafront cafe and there are toilets albeit ones you have pay 20p to use. You can get to the West Shore using the Land Train which runs from the pier entrance.

There used to be deckchairs for hire on the promenade close to the pier entrance but I don't know if they're still there. It would probably be cheaper to go to Home Bargains or B&M and buy a couple of folding seats.

Brownhills, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

Thank you for this comprehensive reply. How far on foot is the west beach from north beach or is it better to go by car ??

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
672 posts
234 reviews
5. Re: Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

I'm not very good with distances but I'd say West Shore is about a quarter of a mile from North Shore. You walk down Gloddaeth Street which is a very flat and very straight road. If you go by car there's usually plenty of free on street parking close to the beach, if you're going to have a problem it's likely to be finding somewhere to park when you return to your hotel. Personally if I was staying in Llandudno I'd find a parking space near to where I was staying and then leave my car there and either walk or take the bus (or Land Train) rather than give up my space.

Brownhills, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

thank you very much for your help

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
672 posts
234 reviews
7. Re: Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

I was in Llandudno earlier on so I checked to see if you can still hire deckchairs and it turns out that you can. There's a guy in a hut near the Cenotaph, which is at the end of the promenade near to the pier, with a huge stack of chairs for hire. It costs £2.50 all day or £2 after 2pm. I also noticed that Asda were selling folding chairs at 2 for £12 so depending on how long you're staying it may be cheaper to buy a couple of chairs, which unlike deckchairs are yours to keep when you go home.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
680 posts
173 reviews
8. Re: Do you have to pay to go on beach ?

I would say the distance from north beach to west is more like a mile. It is flat & an easy walk. A quieter area on the north beach is at the far end away from the town, where the new lifeboat station is, there are toilets & a paddling pool. I was in Llandudno on Saturday & saw a man loose his sandwiches to a group of five gulls, if you are eating anything try to keep your food covered & watch out !

Reply to: Do you have to pay to go on beach ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted