We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last full day in North Wales

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Last full day in North Wales

Where doing a round trip via Caernarfon, Porthmadog, Portmeirion, stopping for lunch at Betws y Coed then back home to Llandudno.

Any reasonable priced/good cafes for lunch in Betws y Coed?

Not sure about Portmeirion, wasn’t aware you had to pay for day tickets also. My mum doesn’t have great mobility and reading the old forums I get the idea that it’s best in good weather.

Any ideas? Is it worth visiting?

Hope you can help

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
164 reviews
1. Re: Last full day in North Wales

I'm not really sure how I feel about Portmerion. It is certainly a very pretty place but would I recommend visiting? Not sure. We went with friends who had been before and just loved it but my husband and I could have left after about an hour, so I guess you could say I have a ho-hum attitude to the place. The gardens are really lovely and the train ride through the forest shows some interesting vegetation but this is the best I can say about it.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
1,627 reviews
2. Re: Last full day in North Wales

Like Molletts we were also slightly disappointed in Portmerion.

If we had not have stopped in one of the cafes or started a 30 minute chat with some Australian tourists,we would have been out of there in a little over an hour.

It is very pretty and it would be best suited on a nice day weather wise.

Was it worth the £12 admission fee?I do not think it was worth half of that.....

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Last full day in North Wales

Hi Lisa , what time of year are you visiting?

I am assuming that you will head to Betws y Coed via Bedgellert , Capel Curig and on to Bewts y Coed

. There are one or two roadside cafes between Capel Curig and Betws y Coed which might be useful as you can park nearby. At busy times parking in Betws y Coed can be difficult so I would stop at one of the roadside cafes for convenience.

There is the “ Ugly House” - Ty Hyll , although I have never been in it gets good reviews and it’s an interesting stop with a tea room

visitllandudno.org.uk/things-to-do/ty-hyll-t…

I enjoy this one in Betws y Coed and it’s on a level section in the town

http://www.gardencoffee.co.uk

It’s in a garden centre and offers a good selection of snacks and meals. You will find it after you drive through the town on the left hand side and you may be lucky and get parked nearby

There is car parking on the level near the railway station and there are one or two cafes there and with seating outside if you didn’t want to walk too far.

Edited: 14 November 2018, 02:09
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
214 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Last full day in North Wales

Unlike the two earlier posters, I love Portmeririon and its quirky architecture. It is a place to wander round slowly and use your eyes. That may seem a silly thing to say but it is true. The houses and vegetation are skilfully planted to draw in the eye and the vistas change slightly as you move and different views open up. It is also completely different to anywhere else in the UK. Have a look at my pictures here;

wasleys.org.uk/eleanor/…index.html

It is best seen on a sunny day when the colours of the buildings glow in the sunshine. The grounds are also interesting to explore on foot with a lot of footpaths to follow and there is the land train for those with less mobility.

To do it justice, you do need to allow 2+ hours there, but be warned, the cafes are expensive...

London, United...
Level Contributor
619 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Last full day in North Wales

Did you do this today? is it too late to make a suggestion?

Reply to: Last full day in North Wales
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted