We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from durham w/o a car

san jose
Level Contributor
149 posts
day trips from durham w/o a car

Can anyone recommend any day trips from Durham. I will be there for a week and have several days but will NOT be retning a car.

thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: day trips from durham w/o a car

How about York? That's an easy train trip. Or Newcastle, Hadrian's Wall and/or Beamish.

http://www.york-tourism.co.uk/

http://www.visitnewcastlegateshead.com/

http://www.hadrians-wall.org/

http://www.beamish.org.uk/

Durham, England
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: day trips from durham w/o a car

Beamish is probably a bus ride - or taxi. Hadrian's wall may be accessible by bus, but it will be tricky.

Ohio
Level Contributor
43 posts
3. Re: day trips from durham w/o a car

sounds like your trip may have been last year - 2007? I will be there this summer for about a week - with a group of musicians at the Brass Band festival, but think I will have a half/full day or two on my own-also looking for things to do without a car - did you get any good suggestions?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
4. Re: day trips from durham w/o a car

if you have never been to scotland why not get up early and jump on a train to edinburgh?

- you will get a glimpse of the scenery of scotland as the train line hugs the cost for much of the way

- and waverley station in edinburgh lies equidistant from many of the highlights

a gentle stroll will llet you see

princes street

scott monument

edinburgh castle

royal mile

holyrood palace

holyrood park

arthurs seat 9an extinct volcano)

you should be able to get a good train price if you travel midweek

york is another great option

third option would be to look for a bus tour of the yorkshire dales

Durham City
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: day trips from durham w/o a car

I've lived in Durham for about 8 years now and suggest:

Train journey to Edinburgh of even further into Scotland. To Edinburgh takes less than 2 hours and is a great trip on a good service. Buy in advance to get cheaper tickets.

Train to York: again a frequent fast service.

Newcastle & Gateshead - Visit the museums, galleries and music venues.

Durham Coast - bus to Seaham (154!) and then walk along coastal path and get bus from Easington or Peterlee back to Durham (242, 243) Check path route at TIC in Durham.

Tyne & Wear coast - Tynemouth, Whitley Bay and Cullercoats - train to Newcastle and Metro. Seaside resorts with all usual attractions, including harbours, lighthouses, aquariums, ruined Priory.

Walk from Durham: follow River Wear along footpath - beautiful.

Bowes Museum - near Barnard Castle - bus will get you there. Museum in stately home. Has works of art and supposedly amazing swan statue music thingy!

Hadrians Wall - from Newcastle regular bus in summer to roman remains.

Beamish Museum - Bus from Durham to within 200 yards - local history/living exhibits. Well worth it!

Alnwick & Gardens & Alnmouth - train/bus options here.

Just a few suggestions - all worth a day each. Google the ones you haven't heard of.

But anyway - Durham in summer - you don't need other trips. Just take in the city, walk by the river and visit the cathedral. Take in a few pubs& cafes and watch the world go by!

Enjoy!

Ohio
Level Contributor
43 posts
6. Re: day trips from durham w/o a car

thanks so much for your suggestions - will definitely walk the footpath by the river Wear, go to Edinburgh and York and certainly try the pubs! Any particular pubs you would recommend in the old section of Durham or the not so old section? I'll be traveling with beer connoisseurs (just as bad as wine snobs)!

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
114 reviews
63 helpful votes
7. Re: day trips from durham w/o a car

I was a student in Durham in the 70's and still pop into the Shakespeare on North Bailey on every visit.Pint and a pickled egg.

The Colpitts under the railway arches was also old style.

Your day trips have been well covered-do not miss out on York

Durham City
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: day trips from durham w/o a car

Colpitts - still there and along with the Shakespeare one for beer connoisseurs . Shakespeare holds folk music sessions which are worth popping in for.

Otherwise take your pick - best to find the ones you like the look of!

9. Re: day trips from durham w/o a car

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Durham
Recent Conversations
More Durham Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.