We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durham train station

Minnesota
1 post
Durham train station

Does the Durham train station have anyplace to store your luggage for 1/2 a day? Or does anyone know of a website that might have the answer? Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,361 posts
70 reviews
109 helpful votes
1. Re: Durham train station

I ♥ Durham. One of my favourite English towns.

I have used the station a number of times but honestly cannot recall seeing any luggage storage areas. It is a small, charming station though :)

I would suggest you look at the guide books Lonely Planet or Lets Go England. they are aimed at the budget traveller and have information like that in them.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
2. Re: Durham train station

The answer is no. The website that has this information for all train stations in the UK is http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Durham train station

I'm sure there are some bright yellow lockers on the station :o\ If I'm right, they're on the Southbound platform (the one with the ticket office.) I'll try and check this Sunday when I'll probably be using the station.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
56 reviews
57 helpful votes
4. Re: Durham train station

http://tinyurl.com/e5uro.

I think the left luggage thing is a big security issue now. There are some stations which still have lockers, but they're not in use.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
66 helpful votes
5. Re: Durham train station

My wife and I would also like to stop off in Durham for 1/2 day on the way to Edinburgh (via train). Does anyone know of anyplace we can store our luggage?

Thanks.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
11 reviews
22 helpful votes
6. Re: Durham train station

no baggage storage at the train station.security reasons. i've been racking my brians to think of somewhere but can't. kings cross have(expensive) bag storage but that's no good!

only thing i can think of is to go to a pub, have a meal/drinks then ask politely if you could possibly leave your bags for a couple of hours while you look round the city. the bridge hotel is the nearest.

it's worth a try.......

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
66 helpful votes
7. Re: Durham train station

Thank for your suggestion. We thought about going to Newcastle and leaving our bags there and returning to Durham but it's just to much hassle.

We decided to stop off in York. It was just so much easier and there are sites there we havn't seen.

Sydney
Level Contributor
79 posts
185 reviews
123 helpful votes
8. Re: Durham train station

Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether there are any other left luggage options in Durham?

My wife-to-be and I are taking the train from York to Carlisle (our base for the Lake District) and want to stop off at Durham to check out the cathedral and castle. However we'll obviously be traveling with luggage... it'll mainly be in a backpack so if there are no options for left luggage, is it likely to be possible to bring it through either of the sights?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
17 helpful votes
9. Re: Durham train station

Hi, it is not really a problem carrying backpacks around Durham, the cathedral or Castle. Except for the steep hilly bits of course :-)

While you are there you could also have a walk down by the river if it's sunny, wandering northwards from Silver St bridge (little alleyway next to Pizza Hut!), past the foot of the cathedral/Castle college, to Prebends Bridge & the Gargoyle Chair, then cross the bridge and continue round the bend. I used to love walking down there *sighs* ...

-Zannah-

10. Re: Durham train station

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Durham
Recent Conversations
More Durham Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.