We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon tea

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
148 reviews
123 helpful votes
Afternoon tea

Any place in Durham serve a traditional afternoon tea?Cheers!

north east
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: Afternoon tea

A new cafe in Durham has just opened called Cottons, it's situated on Silver Street just down some steps from Super dry. They serve a Cottons cream tea which conists of choice of freshly made sandwich, scone jam and cream or slice of cake, plus tea or coffee. The tearooms is full table service , all in an olde worldy environment.

Hope this is some use

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
148 reviews
123 helpful votes
2. Re: Afternoon tea

Thank-you so much thats just what im looking for. Cheers!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
41 reviews
78 helpful votes
3. Re: Afternoon tea

Try this link below, a few more are listed.

http://www.thisisdurham.com/eating-and-drinking/tea-rooms-and-coffee-shops

Alan

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
357 reviews
99 helpful votes
4. Re: Afternoon tea

There is a nice self service cafe which does cream teas just off the Catherdral Green, I believe operated by the university but a good reccomendation is the cafe next to Waterstones (You can use Waterstones lift and get out on the same level if you need to) I've had good experiences there as I'm a 3-4 times a year visitor up there. Otherwise, head down the slope and over the bridge in roughly the same location and the white fronted cafe on the right handside is another family favourite.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
148 reviews
123 helpful votes
5. Re: Afternoon tea

Thanks guys !!

6. Re: Afternoon tea

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?
7. Re: Afternoon tea

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
105 reviews
111 helpful votes
8. Re: Afternoon tea

For afternoon tea in Durham its Brambles Coffee Shop & tea rooms for our family every time. Its inside the huge Poplar Tree Garden Centre just outside the City Centre in Shincliffe Village. There are lots of other things to do & see on the site and it is worth half a day popping in as a local or a tourist, including a Farm Shop, a Florist and not to mention a very large Garden Centre. Probably the biggest and friendliest in County Durham. We tend to book afternoon tea at Brambles Durham at around 2pm, and I think it runs from 1pm to 4pm 7 days a week although I may be wrong. Last time we visited was a Sunday so I think it is. We usually call in advance to book a table. Its worth it.

The thing we like about afternoon tea in Brambles Durham is the ambiance of what they call the Brambles Suite, which is next door to the large Coffee Shop (always very busy all day long) but beautifully decorated. Having the tea rooms next door allows you a great atmosphere as the room can hold about 60 people, but also a bit more peace and quiet from the Coffe Shop.

The afternoon tea there is indeed superb. I think if my memory serves me correctly the afternoon tea was only £8 per person which is exceptionally good, and you get more than in any other posh establishment, or hotel we have ever been to. It involves a 3 tiered sandwich tray with lower level crustless sandwiches of your choice, building up to fresh scones, cream & jam and the top layer was an assortment of deserts. The tea was served in fine china and you really did feel as though you were having afternoon tea in the Ritz, but for a tenth of the price.

I could not eat another thing when we were done, but the kind lady even brought us more free sandwiches and tea and scones. The friendlyness of the staff touched us, as they were always making sure we were stocked up with fresh tea & food. We were there for 2 hours on our first visit back in March. Expect to see groups of up to 20 in there for afternoon tea as its popularity grows around Durham and with tourists new to the area coming from as far as Yorkshire and beyond.

We ususally try and walk off the food around the Garden Centre or just sit in the Al Fresco dining area of the cafe enjoying the views of Houghall and Durham woods.

I cant recommend Afternoon tea in Durham more than at Brambles. As mentioned, we have been all over the world, inclding the Grand Floridian in Florida and in terms of value for money, taste, setting and service, Brambles wins.

9. Re: Afternoon tea

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Durham
Recent Conversations
More Durham Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.