We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tt 2013

Rockhampton...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tt 2013

I am an Aussie lady (40s) who is getting married in 18 months and my partner and I want to spend our honeymoon flying over to the Isle of Man for the TT for 2 weeks. We have never been to Europe before, let alone the Isle. I want some advise please. We thought we may be able to do sight seeing whilst the qualifying week is on and during the racing week we want to see it from different vanatge points (Grandstand, verandah etc.). Is it best to stay at one place on the Island i.e.Douglas and just go to each spot or is it nearly impossible to do that?...do you have to book vantage spots? I realise you have to buy Grandstand tickets. Accomadation whats nice, I think I would like a unit with a varandah with a big bed (Honeymoon calls for a bit of spoilin!)! I know there must be seasoned Isle of man TT tavellers out there who have been a few to many times, that can set me straight? please help me as it is our honeymoon and we really have no idea.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,155 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tt 2013

I prefer Creg- ny- Baa, albeit you will not have the privilege of seeing John Hartle or Derek Minter in their prime. Go and enjoy.

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tt 2013

Hi,

Sounds like a perfect honeymoon, and planning and booking the best accommodation is an absolute MUST. Booking 2 years ahead may sound crazy to some, but not for the TT, as many regulars and of course the teams all book up years ahead.

I would say another "must" is a hire car, otherwise you will have difficulties getting to the vantage points around the course. Watching from the grandstand is good, but will not recommend for every race as there are some great places to watch around the course.

You may find that most of the accommodation has to be booked for minimum of one week. Do you want to stay in Douglas (the capital) or in one of the other smaller towns or villages? Do you want a hotel, or nice B&B or self catering, lots of choices.

Having a hire car makes it easy to get around, but you must be prepared for early starts to get to best viewing spots.

here is a couple of links to websites which may be of help to you getting started

www.iomtt.com/TT-2012/Visiting-the-TT.aspx

http://www.gov.im/tourism/

Hopefully this may be of some help.

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tt 2013

ferries also at this time charge only for the week

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,530 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tt 2013

You could take the ferry from Liverpool (not sure if you could hire a car here and take it over to IoM or if you would have to hire a car over there).

When the TT is on all the bikers head for Liverpool to get the ferry and it's quite a sight seeing dozens of them down at Pier Head boarding the Seacat.

You could also spend a couple of days checking out the wonderful city of Liverpool too ;-)

Edited: 27 August 2011, 08:20
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,530 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tt 2013

^ ^ I've found your original post Debra!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tt 2013

As for somewhere to stay, the view over Douglas Bay is wonderful IMO,for that you need obviously a seafront hotel,the best of which could be the Sefton or the Palace,the former especially can(& I guess will) be very expensive during TT,but there are others,it is a beautiful island,much of which you cannot see by public transport so a car is useful,be prepared to fall in love,a great spot for a honeymoon,we had ours there!

Edited: 28 August 2011, 20:34
7. Re: tt 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:10
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tt 2013

Just to add to my earlier post you will find seafront rooms at the Palace with balconies,but not all seafront rooms have them.

9. Re: tt 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 March 2012, 08:35
Essex
Level Contributor
27,158 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tt 2013

Sounds good, but sorry, self promotion is a no no on TA.

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/what_are_the_guidelin…

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Man