We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leeds Castle

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Leeds Castle

We are visiting from Canada in July and will be in Maidstone on a weekend. Is it necessary to purchase tickets on line for Leeds Castle or will it be fine to purchase the day of?

What day would be best...Fri, Sat or Sun. I suppose all weekend days will be busy.

Thanks so much in advance.

11 replies to this topic
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leeds Castle

If you are visiting in the second half of July, schools will be on holiday, so each day will be busy. Avoid the weekend if visiting in early July. You can just purchase tickets on the day, but they are cheaper online in advance.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leeds Castle

How are you planning on getting there?

If by train (to Bearsted, then pick up the shuttle bus), Friday would entitle you to claim the 2 for 1 offers available from:

www.visitkentoffers.co.uk/southeastern

This particular 2 for 1 is not valid Sat or Sun.

Engineering works on the train line are also possible weekends, much less likely on Fridays.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leeds Castle

If you are visiting in early July, there is a huge classical concert on Saturday 9th July. It's a ticketed event, and the car parks will be filled to bursting. Some locals also take their cars up the day before. From mid July, it is busy everyday, & although there's no need to buy tickets in advance, buying on line saves money.

Maidstone has 2 railway stations, so if you are travelling by train, you'll need to depart from Maidstone East to either Bearsted and meet the courtesy bus, ( a very short 10 minute transfer ) or to Hollingbourne and then walk ...it's a fair old walk though! The number 10 bus from Maidstone passes Leeds Castle on the way to Ashford, but during the day buses are once an hour.

Eating at Leeds Castle, is in my opinion, very expensive. Although you could bring a picnic, the local pubs in Leeds Village, Hollingbourne and Bearsted are all good for food. The two in Hollingbourne have the prettier gardens.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leeds Castle

Just read the T&Cs again for the 2 for 1s. Noticed there is a minimum train ticket cost of £10 pp, which would rule out the short journey from Maidstone...sorry!

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,097 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leeds Castle

Few last Summers, they had a very nice falconry display at Leeds Castle on weekends.

Please check thoroughly, few days prior to your visit, whether the LC is open for visitors. I recall not doing so myself once, and the castle was closed because of some private venue.

LC can get busy, but not unbearably busy! Not the Canterbury or Bourton on the Water, hoards of tourists, style.

LC admission ticket is pricey, but it's valid for a year. Don't throw it away after finishing your visit. Who knows, maybe you'll be revisiting LC soon? It's advertised as "the loveliest castle in the World", and it is lovely indeed.

Enjoy!

Yuri.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leeds Castle

I've only just seen this question and your visit may have already taken place - in which case you will know that day tickets at a reduced rate are not available. The ticket price is the same for everyone - locals and visitors. The ticket is an annual ticket and if you only here for one visit I think you're paying way too much. I'm local so I can use my ticket whenever I want to over the year and feel I'm getting good value. So if you're prepared to pay the £21 (or whatever it is now), have a nice day and stay for a picnic - weather permitting - to get your money's worth.

london
Level Contributor
1 post
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leeds Castle

Thank you for useful info.

cheers

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Leeds Castle

I realise that your trip has come and gone but this information may be of use to others. You can access Leeds castle for free!!! There are several Public Footpaths which crisscross the grounds of the castle. Nobody can legally stop you using them as long as you stick to the footpath which is clearly marked with posts with yellow arrows. If however you veer of the path because you lost track of the posts the most anyone can do is guide you back on the path one such path originates in Ashford rd. roughly 200 metres up the hill from the Park Gate Inn pub. Another access point to this network of paths is at the Ashford road end of Broomfield rd. There are more but all paths interlink and give great access to the grounds but not the Castle building (which frankly isn't that great anyway,the real beauty is outside)

Edited: 10 November 2016, 17:05
9. Re: Leeds Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2017, 12:32

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leeds Castle

Today's advertising campaign seems to have moved into the Spam category. Reported.

Reply to: Leeds Castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Leeds
Recent Conversations