We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo

Hello, I'm arriving with my husband and baby at Bologna airport in June, and we need to transfer to a country house close to Borgo San Lorenzo. I've read lots of horror stories about car rental companies so wondering if it's better to transfer another way. A train may not be ideal as it would mean a lot of changes, so I wonder if there's any bus companies that do transfers from Bologna airport to Borgo San Lorenzo, Vicchio or surrounding areas, like EasyBus in the UK?

Thank you :)

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
7 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,434 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo

For trains, enter Bologna Centrale to Borgo S. Lorenze on www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en (times online to June 9 but will be similar or the same later) - there are two routes, one with an easy level change of train at Firenze S. M. Novella, the other (and cheaper) route with one change of train at Faienza. To reach Bologna Centrale from the airport, there are very frequent buses, or more expensive taxis.

You will not find any direct bus routes from Bologna Airport to Borgo S. Lorenzo. So the only other sensible alternative would be an expensive car service. However, if you are going to need a car at your villa, you would do best to rent it at Bologna Airport and return it there on your departure. If you rent from one of the major international companies and inspect the car properly before driving it away, you should normally have no unexpected problems.

Mentioned in this post
Bologna Centrale
Bologna Centrale
47 Reviews
Bologna, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Turin
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo

I hope you'll find the bus you need, but note that there are 23 train itineraries each day that involve only one change at Florence SM Novella station. More if you use the slower trains and change either at Faenza or at Firenze Campo di Marte.

It takes 10 minutes to transfer at S.M. Novella and the tracks are all in the same area.

I'd take a taxi from Bologna airport to Bologna Centrale station.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Faenza
Faenza
Province of Ravenna, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Bologna Centrale
Bologna Centrale
47 Reviews
Bologna, Italy
FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo

Another, perhaps easier, solution by public transport would imply taking the direct bus from Bologna airport to Florence: https://www.appenninoshuttle.it/?lingua=2

From the bus stop in Florence, walk to the adjacent train station to take a train to Borgo San Lorenzo or Vicchio (www.trenitalia.com)

Edited: 18 February 2018, 10:38
Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Florence
Florence
London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo

Thank you All, I'm afraid the 3 changes needed with airport - Bologna - Florence - BSL is just too much with a tiny baby, pram, big luggage, two roller cases and two baby changing bags, especially that our flight back is at 6.50am!

I'll have a look at the bus to Florence - that could work at least one way, thanks!

Otherwise I think we might need to swallow the extra cost and just get a car from a reputable company and buy zero excess insurance. Probably worth to save the stress!

ps. Borgo San Lorenzo forum seems tiny, sorry to change a topic but would anyone be able to direct me to some interesting eg. wine or olive oil tours in the area?

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Florence
Florence
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo

Won’t you need a car during your stay?

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo

We're going as a bigger group so there will be two other cars. In total we'd need 3 for all of us to get somewhere in one go, yes!

Currently checking out Hertz, Avis and Sicily by car - last one seems best value and haven't seen the horror stories I've read about Firefly or Goldcar. We will also be buying separate excess insurance rather than from the company itself - I was recommended Car Hire Excess website https://www.carhireexcess.com/faqs… - in case it helps anyone else :)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,434 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo

Best value is not always the cheapest. Sicily by Car and its fellow company Auto Europa (not the broker Autoeurope which is different) is not an international major.

Reply to: Transfers from Bologna Airport to Borgo San Lorenzo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Borgo San Lorenzo