We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

Which Civitavecchia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

Need transport to cruise port from Hotel Sheraton Roma. on Nov. 5th. How far is it and which form of transport is available and how much? Is anyone else going on the Norwegian Jade Transatlantic?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

You have two choices.

1. Private car and driver for around E120 from somewhere like www.romecabs.com

2. Suburban train from FCO to Trastevere, change there for train to Civitavecchia, under E10 each.

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

We are in our seventies and will be lugging 2 large suitcases. The private car is expensive and the train changes several times. We don't speak Italian and don't want to miss the cruise. If I do an all inclusive with cruise, hotel and transfers I will take a beating on the air prices from the US. I can save drastically by booking separately myself. We have traveled Europe many times and never had a problem. How many miles away from the airport is the cruiseport. Staying at the Sheraton at the Airpot one night before. Am I making too much of it?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

It is some 65 km from FCO to Civitavecchia. The two methods I gave are the only choices.

The train involves only one change: at Trastevere.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

Based on your comments I would opt for the private car - I did it last summer and it brought me right to the boat. Quite convenient when lugging bags around. The port is quite large and I could see how someone could easily have difficulty getting around the port - limited access, barricades and deceiving distances.

100/120 euros give or take is trivial when compared to the cost of missing the boat.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

There is no Sheraton at FCO. The Sheraton Roma is in EUR, a suburb of Rome on the way to FCO, and the hotel is in an isolated part of EUR. Your *only* option from FCO to Sheraton Roma and from Sheraton Roma to Civitavecchia is by private transfer.

The Rome Airport Hilton is connected to FCO. There are also a Hilton Garden Inn and a Marriott Courtyard near FCO; they run paid shuttles to the airport.

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

Thank you soooo much for your input. I am in the planning stages and your suggestions for hotels is helpful. I will change my mind on the hotel. If I would stay at one of them at the ariport, would there be a transfer to the cruiseport and if so, what would my options be? Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

If you stay at a hotel at the airport, the only ways of getting to Civitavecchia are still the two that I provided in reply #1. Please believe me when I say that there are no other choices at all.

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

Thanks, Nick

I think I've gotten it through my thick scull, now.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

If you can get to Roma Termini, there is a ESCity Train that does direct from Termini to Civitavecchia in about 41 minutes leaving at 1210, arriving Civitavecchia at 1251. You can purchase tickets online www.trenitalia.com, make sure you choose the ESCity Train. You must reserve seats on this train and you have a choice of 1st class(Eur 19) & 2nd class (Eur 13.50). Apparently, most passengers on this train are cruise passengers. To get from Rome FCO to Termini, there's also a Terravision bus for Eur 4.00 per person. Tickets can be purchased online at www.terravision.eu/rome.

Hope that helps!

Edited: 07 September 2011, 20:50
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Airport(FCU) to cruise port

That is no easier, and considerably more expensive, than taking a local train from FCO to Trastevere and changing there to another local train to Civitavecchia.

The change at Trastevere involves going down in one elevator, a short distance along an underground passage, then up in another elevator. The change at Termini would involve a long walk from the platforms used by the Leonardo Express.

Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia