We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acquacalda beach

Toronto
Level Contributor
197 posts
24 reviews
Acquacalda beach

We are planning to stay a week in begin of September in Acquacalda area, and I'd like to confirm swimming conditions. Based on other reviews and GoogleStreet views:

- It seems the water is very clean, no seaweed or pollution, right? How about jellyfish?

- How shallow is the sea for swimming?

- Should we watch for currents or tides, or the area is reasonable safe?

I've read that the beach and the bottom of the water are rocky, so we will bring water shoes. We are not planning to walk along the beach, just step in the water and swim.

Thanks!

TA

7 replies to this topic
Milazzo, Italy
Level Contributor
337 posts
1. Re: Acquacalda beach

TripsAddicted,

Acquacalda is an overall good choice:

-one of the bandiera blu awarded beaches because of its good water quality

-one of the most beautiful beaches of Lipari with a fantastic view of Salina

-it is less crowded than the beaches in the area of the pumice at Porticello (la Cava, white beach)

-it has cleaner waters compared to other beaches probably in part because it is right on the channel of Salina and Lipari and also because it is less crowded

-the down side is that this area has a bit colder water, as it is right on this channel, compared to the beaches on the eastern side

-another positive aspect of Acquacalda is that is gets more sunlight in the afternoon compared to the beaches on the east which get put into shadows once the sun starts to set.

-the beach of Acquacalda is made of large pebbles, and yes, you would need to wear rubber beach shoes.

-there is a lido which is convinient

-the seabed is not too deep at first, for the first 10 meters or so, and then it drops down.

-in rough weather you would need to watch out for waves, but it is not an area of currents or tides

-jellyfish are unpredictable and are occasionaly in the Aeolian, but it is more likely to find them in other areas

Ciao

Cristian

Toronto
Level Contributor
197 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Acquacalda beach

Cristian, è bellissimo, grazie mille!

I've just booked 6 nights in apartments in this area.

TA

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
715 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Acquacalda beach

Wear beach shoes on all the beaches in Lipari. I went in bare feet and trying to get out was not my best moment. You sink into the pebbles and it hurts! I’m used to sand not pebbles so my poor feet did not like it. I ended up going in with flip,flops then holding them in my hands when I was floating in the sea. We swam at Spiagga Bianca and Canneto and it very safe. We went right out into the deep water which was clear and refreshing. Is this your first time in Lipari?

Toronto
Level Contributor
197 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Acquacalda beach

Hi from Acquacalda!

Sorry, graciem, I've just found your response. This is our first time on Aeolian islands. Yes, beach shoes on pebbles is the must.

Cristian, thanks again for your answers. Every statement in your response is correct. My wife and I enjoy Acquacalda area enormously, and your comments helped me to make right decision. It seems this area is one of hidden gems that is not too popular yet.

Cheers,

TA

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,184 posts
5. Re: Acquacalda beach

Thanks for reporting back TripsAddicted!

Acquacalda is not such a hidden gem in summer.

Vagabonda

Milazzo, Italy
Level Contributor
337 posts
6. Re: Acquacalda beach

TripsAddicted,

thank you for the reply. Good to hear it worked out.

Ciao

Cristian

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,184 posts
7. Re: Acquacalda beach

Thank you Cristian for such fantastic information, and for such gracious contributions.

No one know this better than you!! :-)

Vagabonda

Reply to: Acquacalda beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted