We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Stromboli ferry

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Naples to Stromboli ferry

Hi there. I'm getting conflicting advice about how to get from Naples to Stromboli- I'd like to catch to overnight ferry on Sept 26 but the SNAV and Siremar websites have no information that this service exists in late September- am I just looking to far in advance?

31 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

No, but the SNAV hydrofoil from Naples to Milazzo, calling at Stromboli, runs only between June and early September. At your time of year, you only have the Siremar boat at 20:00 hrs on TUESDAY (e.g. 26/9/17) and FRIDAY, arriving in Stromboli at 06:00 hrs the following day, and you certainly can download the 2017 timetable from their website (see p. 4): siremar.it/linee-e-orari/… and click on "download".

That doesn't necessarily mean you can book yet, in fact I wouldn't look for that until May at the earliest.

Edited: 15 January 2017, 17:41
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

Welcome to Sicily ksedgwick1!

By late September, the SNAV and Alilauro services discontinue.

The SNAV service ends on 9 September.

https://www.snav.it/orari-e-tratte

And the Alilauro service ends on 11 September.

http://www.alilauro.it/isole-eolie

The Siremar service from Naples to Stromboli will run 3 days in September, Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.

Vagabonda

Edited: 15 January 2017, 18:08
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

Thank you - that just the information I need! :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,721 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

Prego e buon viaggio ksedgwick1!

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

Hello vagabona, I plan to go from Napoli to Stromboli between 14/9 to 18/9, does it mean I can only have the service by Siremar? How reliable is their overnight return service from Stromboli back to Naples in September? Could it be cancelled or delayed because I have to catch a flight ine the afternoon after arriving in the morning. Is weather in September reliable that ferries is not likely to be cancelled due to weather?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,721 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

Welcome to Sicily raymond631!

Yes Siremar is your only option during that period.

SNAV will discontinue service on 9 September, and Alilauro on 11 September.

Siremar would run service from Naples to Stromboli on Tuesdays and Fridays, and from Stromboli to Naples on Mondays and Thursdays.

siremar.it/linee-e-orari/…

It's generally recommended not to do a crossing on the day of a flight.

Weather has been unpredictable, and though ferries are more stable than hydrofoils, there are never any guarantees that the service wouldn't cancel.

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I have booked my flight without knowing that the service ofSNAV and Alilauro will end so early. I might have to take the risk to o take the Siremar ferry to return on 18/9, arriving on 19/9 a Napoli to take our flight leaving at around 3pm, hoping that the ferry will not be cancelled on 18/9 due to weather.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,721 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

It's not typical for ferries to cancel, but they could.

Fingers crossed for good weather and calm seas!

Vgabaonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

The other alternative for me is to take the ferry on Tuesday, arriving Wednesday morning and take the ferry back on Thursday evening. But I will only have 2 days in Stromboli, and it means I have to go up the volcano in Stromboli the day when I arrive later that day. I know that there are guided walk to go near the crater departing in the afternoon and return in the evening. Is this true?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,721 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Naples to Stromboli ferry

Also consider activity on the volcano, so there are never guarantees with treks as well.

http://magmatrek.it/en/excursions/

Milazzo is the preferred port, and Catania is the preferred airport for the Aeolians.

You might ferry or hydrofoil to Milazzo, take the direct shuttle to the airport in Catania, and fly a low-cost airline to Naples.

Vagabonda

Reply to: Naples to Stromboli ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stromboli