We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening Ferry from Naples

Kent
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Evening Ferry from Naples

I am looking to book at ferry from Naples to Stromboli in July. We are considering the 5pm crossing, arriving at 10pm - as I thought it might take in some good nighttime views of the volcano on our trip in. Originall had planned arriving earlier in the day. I just thought arriving late might give us an added bonus of a night time view from the ferry rather than booking a separate boat trip. Is that actually feasible or sensible ?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

Ferries depart Naples for Stromboli at 20:00 in July on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays, and arrive at Stromboli at 06:15.

What schedules are you viewing?

Vagabonda

modica
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

I will never forget arriving at Stromiboli at dawn on that ferry - one of the most picturesque arrivals. And worth it just for that. Are you sure you're not looking at the aliscafo service from Mergellina which has different times from the ferry

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

Yes, as Alilauro and SNAV also run service during this period from Naples to Stromboli.

Vagabonda

Kent
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

Ah yes I was looking at a wrong schedule. Looking again we would really like to ge tthe Siremar ferry from Naples to Stromboli but it seems it goes to Ginostra - we have accommodation in Stromboli - I think that is where most hotel accommodation is. So..... how can we get from Ginostra to Stromboli - is it possible ?

Kent
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

Such a shame - apparently I can only go by boat from Ginostra to where our hotel is. Really did want to come in on that oarticular ferry. never mind

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

The Tuesday and Friday ferry also stops at Stromboli, not just Ginostra.

So are you planning travel on a Sunday??

But even if you were to arrive in Ginostra, Liberty Lines runs hydrofoil service onward.

Vagabonda

Kent
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

Ah...thanks Vagabonda !!! . so we were looking at getting the Friday evening ferry.... so that will probably work for us - really appreciate your help. I will look back at this now and get something booked up. That is our preferred route on Siremar with a cabin for a bit of rest during the dark hours.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,572 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

Prego Ummy, and hopefully you'll find an acceptable solution!

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Amesbury, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

Waking up in the morning and seeing the volcano in all it's splendour is a sight not to be missed. For €20 you can take a boat trip out at night to see the eruptions. The boat stays out about 2 hours right under the lava fields/decent. You will see fabulous eruptions. Also, you should go and have a meal at the Observatoire Restaurant which is very near the lava descent area. There is a free taxi service there and back if you do not feel like walking the 40 minutes. The night we went 3 weeks ago, the volcano was extremely active and you will get a display as you eat your meal...all open air seating. From that restaurant you are allowed to walk up to the 400 metre mark without a guide. It would take you another 1h30 from the restaurant. Best to go in the evening, come down in the dark by say 9 pm and into the restaurant for a meal then take the free taxi back down to the edge of town. From there you will walk back to your hotel. There is only walking on Stromboli. Make sure your footwear is comfortable. You will need rubber boots to go into the water as there are mostly pebbles and it is difficult to walk over pebbles...once in, the water becomes deep quickly. July the water temps are mid 20s! Very pleasant. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to reply.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,572 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening Ferry from Naples

There are never any guarantees for fabulous eruptions.

Please submit a review.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

Vagabonda