We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weeklong stay in Vico

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Weeklong stay in Vico

My wife and I and another couple recently spent 7 nights in Vico. We thoroughly enjoyed the town. Ideally situated for exploring Sorrento, Capri, the Amalfi coast, Pompeii, Herculaneam and Ischia, Vico is not at all touristy unlike Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano and other nearby towns which are swarming with tourist hordes night and day.

While Vico does have a few hotels, they seem to primarily cater to bus tour people who leave early in the morning, return just in time for their evening meal, and are too tired or frightened to venture out into the town itself during the evenings. Thus we shared the town almost exclusively with locals and never heard English spoken while out on the streets or in stores or restaurants.

Even Vico's two best-known eating establishments (Gabriele's gelateria and Pizza a Metro) seemed to attract only Italians from the region. We ate at Pizza a Metro twice and at Gabriele's at least once daily and the only non-Italian spoken was between us and our servers. The views from Vico are spectacular (as good as or better than Sorrento's) and the town has an abundance of good choices for dining.

Vico did not have a single shop hawking tourist tat and never once did we see a guide with a flag followed by 47 perspiring anxious disciples (whereas in Sorrento we had the misfortune to venture near Davide's around lunchtime and witnessed a constant barrage of at least 25 guided walking tours pass by in 3/4 of a hour. Vico also has daily ferry service to Capri and is just 10 minutes away from the cable car to Monte Faito which has the best views and most refreshing summertime temperatures on the Sorrentine peninsula.

If you travel to experience a different culture, cuisine, and way of life, then I would highly recommend using Vico as a base while exploring the peninsula. If being oppressively surrounded by throngs of people just like yourself reassures you that you have chosen a desirable destination ("if so many people are willing to endure such crowded conditions, then this place must be wonderful"), then by all means stay in Sorrento!

Edited: 30 July 2016, 02:11
9 replies to this topic
south shields
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weeklong stay in Vico

Thanks for this report. I'm going to Vico for 2 weeks in September and cannot wait!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weeklong stay in Vico

You will have wonderful weather in September. The only thing we would change when we go back would be to go in a month that is not quite as hot as July (we had no choice about the month we went this time). I'm sure you will enjoy your time in Vico.

south shields
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weeklong stay in Vico

Vico was my first ever holiday abroad when I was very young.....interested to see if time has stood still there!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weeklong stay in Vico

Vico did seem more traditional (as much of the south is) compared to northern Italy, so I would guess that it has changed less than many other cities. It will have some newer buildings (i.e. Gabriele's) but I am sure it will bring back many fond memories for you.

south shields
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weeklong stay in Vico

Thank you. Could I just ask a question? What are the prices like in Restaurants? There's a lot of scaremongering going on in the UK due to Brexit so a first hand experience would be welcome

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weeklong stay in Vico

We found the restaurant prices to be reasonable (based on the four restaurants in the main square, Pizza a Metro and the restaurant in Hotel Mary).. A 12-inch diameter pizza was typically about 6 to 8 euros; pasta was about 7 to 9 euros; meat/fish dishes varied more ranging from around 7 to 15 euros. These prices would be slightly less in pounds sterling (about 6/7 as much). A glass of house wine was about 3 euros (way cheaper than in North America) and the cuperto around 2 to 3 euros. Overall we found prices were considerably lower for a meal in Italy than they were in the UK. There are certainly much pricier restaurants in and around Vico where you could easily spend well over 70 euros per couple.

At the bread/focaccia bakery right next to Gabriele's we picked up huge slices of fresh focaccia loaded with cheese and meat for 1.2 euros (so about one pound); a single slice fed two of us and we actually preferred this to the pizza in the better restaurants. We rarely ate lunch at a restaurant and either picked up very cheap eats to go or purchased premium picnic ingredients in small grocery stores very cheaply. My wife's favourite wine in Italy was found in a small grocer's in Vico for 2 euros a bottle!

Your exchange rate obviously has been affected by Brexit, but by less than 10% so I would ignore the scaremongering.

south shields
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weeklong stay in Vico

That's brilliant. Thank you very much for your help!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weeklong stay in Vico

wonderful information! we are going for 5 days next May, I can't wait!

south shields
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weeklong stay in Vico

I'm there for 14 nights in 3 weeks time Amanda. I'll post a report on my return! But if there's any specifics you need in the meantime whilst I'm there, please feel free to ask

Edited: 26 August 2016, 12:10
Reply to: Weeklong stay in Vico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vico Equense
More Vico Equense Topics