We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cemeteries

Highland, MI
Level Contributor
60 posts
45 reviews
16 helpful votes
cemeteries

I know this is going to be a weird question but, my in-laws were of Ukrainian and Polish heritage and during WWII were in work camps in this area. After the war they stayed in the area and had a son who was only 17 months old when he died. My sister in law is traveling to Poland and Germany this summer and we are trying to find where the cemetery could be. My father in law said it was in Alderstaut (forgive my spelling) a village outside of Schwangau. He said it was where the DP camp people were buried. Does any one know if this cemetery still exists and where it is?

3 replies to this topic
Augsburg
Level Contributor
292 posts
213 reviews
94 helpful votes
1. Re: cemeteries

Servus mibeachlover,

I think you mean Altenstadt near Schongau. In Altenstadt was a camp for DP so maybe also a cemetery.

I found this on the german site of wikipedia about the DP camp

Nach dem Ende des Zweiten Weltkriegs 1945 gehörte Altenstadt zur Amerikanischen Besatzungszone. Die amerikanische Militärverwaltung richtete ein DP-Lager ein zur Unterbringung so genannter Displaced Persons (DP). Die meisten von ihnen stammten aus Polen. Das Lager wurde von der UNRRA betreut und 1950 aufgelöst.

Best you would contact the city of Altenstadt, Website is www.altenstadt-obb.de

Highland, MI
Level Contributor
60 posts
45 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: cemeteries

Thank you so much.

Augsburg
Level Contributor
292 posts
213 reviews