We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Wedding

Wainwright, Canada
1 post
Destination Wedding

Hello fellow travelers! I have a question for anyone with knowledge. I'm hoping to have a destination wedding in Germany. We're going to have all the pictures and things done at the Neischwanstein Castle. I am Canadian and my spouse is also. I've been looking online for all the info I can and I wanted to see if anyone here knows something I don't. One of the things is on some sites it says you have to have residency in Germany for 3 weeks prior. Some say just get your paper work in order and do it at the hall. Do the ceremony later. How do foreigners go about getting a marriage license? Would my Canadian embassy know what to do?

Thanks in advance for all your comments.

Athena : )

Edited: 02 March 2018, 02:06
2 replies to this topic
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
1. Re: Destination Wedding

Paperwork for a wedding is hell even to German citizens and residents. You will need the help of a wedding planner.

I am not sure what you mean by "things" done at the castle. You cannot get married in Neuschwanstein Castle itself. Photos can be taken only outside but not inside the rooms.

The cleverest thing to do would be having the civil wedding at home prior, so all legal issues are settled and done, and doing just the church or whatever ceremony overseas.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Destination Wedding

Here is a local wedding service: hochzeitsservice-koenigswinkel.de/kontakt.ht… They even arrange for proposals IN the castle early in the morning before the tours start. But you can not hold a ceremony there.

I'd also advice to get all the civil stuff done at home, not with the German offices, and then have a festive ceremony over here. The area surely makes for a most romantic experience.

Reply to: Destination Wedding
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Schwangau
More Schwangau Topics