We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does Quarkbällchen mean?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
651 posts
350 reviews
What does Quarkbällchen mean?

We walked up to the castle. Along the way, we passed a tourist place with a kettle outside and

a sign with times the quarkbällchen would be available. Some how I got the feeling that this is a sweet or a pastry. What is it and what does it mean? Google translator will not translate it!

Thank you-

6 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,674 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: What does Quarkbällchen mean?

Quark is a dairy product not found in the US (let others argue about what it most resembles), and balls of pastry are made using it. Therefore the name using a diminutive ending. They are deep fried. These are common at events serving food and I always enjoyed watching them cook as they float while being cooked and roll over during the cooking as the leavening makes the undersides expand and they then become top heavy. Besides the plain ones commonly served with powdered sugar, they also inject the interiors with a variety of flavorings, I personally enjoying the Bailey's ones.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,744 posts
2. Re: What does Quarkbällchen mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4EQIiA37X4

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: What does Quarkbällchen mean?

Sort of like a donut, but the quark used to make the dough, makes the texture very soft and tender.

Love them.

As to how to describe quark. It is often used in restaurants in place of sour cream on baked potatoes, but can also be used to make cheese cake or mixed with fruit for a dessert. Let's just say a mix between sour cream, creme fraiche and cream cheese.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
229 reviews
4. Re: What does Quarkbällchen mean?

It's the kind of thing that is far better direct from the deep fryer. Unlike the US, no one in Europe would try to serve you reheated Quarkbollen (another version of the name.) And lukewarm, they would be heavy and awful. In the Netherlands and Belgium, some places that make fresh waffles also make Smoutebollen, almost the same thing.

Do not confuse this with Funnel Cakes, which are only about 10% as good.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
651 posts
350 reviews
5. Re: What does Quarkbällchen mean?

You are absolutely the best! I have now looked up quark. I even found chocolate cheesecake from the UK using one pound of quark and a website for a quarkmaker from Germany!! It sounds like it is somewhere between cheese curds and sour cream. Now that I have a recipe to make quark, I will have to try it! I am sad that the kettle was not boiling when we were there! Thanks for your help. Now I can finish my Neuschwanstein book.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: What does Quarkbällchen mean?

Quarkbaellchen taste good cold too, just go to a bakery and buy one to try, in the worst case you wasted around 30 cents.

Reply to: What does Quarkbällchen mean?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Schwangau
More Schwangau Topics