We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein castle

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
Neuschwanstein castle

I plan on visiting Neuschwanstein castle with my mother. However i believe the walk up to the castle is quiet strenuous which she would not be able to do. Is there another way of getting up to the castle?

7 replies to this topic
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
593 reviews
1. Re: Neuschwanstein castle

There is a bus or horse drawn carriage. There are about 180 stairs on the castle tour.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Neuschwanstein castle

Thank you for this information

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,750 posts
3. Re: Neuschwanstein castle

Bus is no option in your case. As it is a steep path down from there to the castle.

Horse carriage is the only option. And you still have continue on foot 5-10 minutes on the road to reach the castle.

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/1304.0.html

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Neuschwanstein castle

Thank you for this information

Very helpful

Reston, Virginia
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Neuschwanstein castle

Yes. There are horse carriages available to the castle. They leave about every 10 minutes. Not sure how much, but probably 5 euro or so.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,673 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Neuschwanstein castle

As #1 said, there are a number of stairs. That would be about 180 stairs up, and even more down. My elderly mother had to quit during her tour. You can find more information on the tours at www.hohenschwangau.de .

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
156 reviews
7. Re: Neuschwanstein castle

Perhaps your mother would prefer seeing another of Ludwig's palaces instead. There is one on an island in Lake Chiemsee, modeled after Versailles, with an incredible Hall of Mirrors that seems to go in forever. There is a carriage ride from the ferry directly to the palace. There is a short flight of steps to get inside but I don't remember any inside the palace.

Reply to: Neuschwanstein castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Schwangau
More Schwangau Topics