We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of July Hiking in Sils-Maria

Which Sils im Engadin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LBV
Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
End of July Hiking in Sils-Maria

Thank you in advance

How busy should we expect it to be on the trails at this time of year ?

Since we do not have our tickets yet is it easier to get there by flying into Milano or Zurich ?

We plan to take the train and bus.

jean

3 replies to this topic
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,094 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of July Hiking in Sils-Maria

Hi LBV,

If you use the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

it will give you the expected occupancy for the trip.

I think it would be easier to go via Zürich, which has a train station right in the basement of the airport. I think if you fly into Milan, you would have to take a bus, then a train, etc.

You can get the exact train schedules and changes, etc, using the rail site.

Have fun!

s

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of July Hiking in Sils-Maria

I think your question was how busy are the trails, not the trains. Well, End of July is already rather busy, August is top summer season. But the Engadin St. Moritz area is so extended and you have such a huge choise of hikes that trails dont really get too crowded, unless of course you just stroll around the lakes. The more demanding hikes you do, the more you will have them almost for you. The advantage is that everything will be open, mountain restaurants, cable cars, alpine huts etc. For me, it's reassuring to encounter other hikers, just in case if something happens or you get lost, at least you find someone helping you.

If you plan on hiking, make sure you choose a hotel participating in the "mountain cable cars included" special …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ with the public transport included. It's perfect if you hike from your accomodation and are able to travel back from where you arrive after your hike and just can jump on the next bus or train to go back.

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
236 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of July Hiking in Sils-Maria

The owner of the apartment we rented in Sils-Maria said that August is crowded because that's when the Italians arrive but they don't hike. They like to hang out with the family. And they arrive by car so they don't use the public transport. We were there last year for two weeks at the end of August which is a quieter time -- it's just beautiful.

Reply to: End of July Hiking in Sils-Maria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sils im Engadin