We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Topic
easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

so i emailed DLRP disabled email contact to ask about any new rules regarding EAP. My daughter had one last year and it was a godsend. She has seizures, not epilepsy and no blue badge, not registered disabled but we had hospital letters stating diagnosis and she cant stand for long periods etc and with no problems last xmas we got one, we were all allowed together on the rides, no problems whatsoever and we only went to the designated are for one parade and it was daughter plus carer allowed, cast member discretion allowed my toddler in aswell but not older son or dad! we were ok with that though.

Anyhow, we want to go again at xmas and i emailed DLRP disabled customer services and they replied saying unless blue badge or registered disabled my daughter plus one would be allowed to go on rides via exit and any other family members will have to queue/wait as normal. This kind of defeats the object as it means daughter and carer waiting around for the others to finish the ride and the whole holiday not spent together but queuing separately so now we arent sure what to do, if its worth spending the money etc. We have dated/signed letters stating her diagnosis and the old EAP from last year and also letter says she has difficulty standing so I assume we would be entitled to the EAP again but is this reply giving new information now, have the rules changed? if so, how can we get round it, who can i speak to, disney is supposed to be a family holiday but it just wont be in this situation?

any ideas/help appreciated, dont really want to book it and hope for cast member discretion as it could spoil christmas!

HELP!

thanks

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

Hi reb,

Yes, Disney now have two different passes for people with different disabilities - the Disabled Priority Pass, and the Easy Access Pass - with different rules for each.

The DPP is for people who are registered disabled, and have Blue Badges. The EAP is for those who have a temporary disability (eg leg in plaster) or people who have difficulties but not officially registered disabled.

With more and more people getting the passes for all kinds of difficulties/ special needs/ disabilities, it has become necessary to change some of the rules, and more details of the disability are on the actual Pass, including if wheelchair bound or not.

This information is in our Top Questions, which we posted when we first heard about the change.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 07:32
Ireland
Level Contributor
436 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

Well when we were there last year my mum got an EAP and only one of our group was allowed accompany her so the rest of us just queued as normal - I would have thought this was fairly standard

(unless maybe in a group of 3 where they may allow the other 2 to accompany the person with the EAP)

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

I think there will be some flexibility with the EAP depending on the time of year/season and how busy the parks are. At quieter times direct family may be allowed to ride with them, as with the DPP. Some very popular rides will issue a ticket with a time to return and ride, similar to Fastpass. I have seen people sitting in the ride boarding area waiting for their family to get to the front of the queue so they could then ride together.

The EAP is primarily so people do not have to stand in line for a ride if they have difficulty doing this, but it is not designed so they and their families can jump the queue line.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 07:46
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

See this thread - things seemed to change in the early part of this year. Some posters had problems using the EAP with only one carer / attendant allowed, which is something I brought up at the Shareholders Round Table meeting in London in May. Philippe Gas replied that CMs must use their common sense in some situations with the EAP.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g2079053-i21935-…

Edited: 23 July 2013, 07:55
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

thanks for the replies, not sure what we will do now, it will cost us around £3.5k for our trip so its a lot of money for a holiday to be ruined, I completely understand that it is to reduce times for all etc its just that we cant justify separating siblings on this kind of holiday for a large part of the experience, especially with no guarantee of discretion when we get there. At xmas the queues are huge aswell so she wouldnt be able to stand and queue and make the most of it, shame really, seem to be turning cutsomers away, we have been many times, I wonder if i emailed and let them know we are repeat customers it would make any difference?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

here is the disney email reply for anyone else interested:

Regarding the delivery of an Easy Access Card, we invite you to visit City Hall (in Disneyland Park ) or Studio Services (in Walt Disney Studios) as soon as you arrive. There, you will need to show a medical certificate issued in the last 3 months signed and stamped by the doctor, certifying the disability and stating the need to be accompanied by a third party in order to get around.

The Easy Access Card allows you to access certain attractions via entrances that have been specially adapted. However, it does not give you priority access to attractions (it depends on the people before with the same Easy Card).

The card is only available for the disabled and 1 helper. All other members of the group must use the waiting line.

There is no guarantee in regards to the issuing of this card.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

It is confusing having the two different cards, with different rules. If you are planning to spend that much money on a trip reb I would consider WDW instead, even if only for one week, as their GAC allows up to 5 party members to accompany the person.

They also cannot insist on medical proof of disability apparently, due to their Privacy Laws. The French are obviously not the same.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 08:36
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

But the GAC in WDW is abused - many people get them just because they are overweight, and say they can't walk. They go round the parks on mobility scooters, and take up places in special areas needed for truly disabled people, which really annoyed me when I was there. We nearly got run down quite a few times by whole families on scooters coming up behind us.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

It would be a lot simpler if DLP could just have the same GAC as WDW, but the only other option was to refuse it completely to people without a Registered Disability / Blue Badge, as the queues for the disabled pass entries at rides were just getting too long. Also not enough space in the special seats in theatres, or reserved places for watching parades and Dreams, so guests with more serious permanent disabilities were not getting the help they needed.

Our DS1 has Dyspraxia, so no doubt we could have obtained a pass for him in WDW and cut our queueing time, but there was no way his difficulties then were bad enough for that. He managed to queue OK.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,616 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: easy access pass.... new rules? see disneys email reply

I remember reading a post somewhere that said that people with passes were using them to meet multiple princesses at the pavilion when the main queue was about 2 hrs, as they could just exit and re enter again with family members, making the main queue longer.

It's a case of getting the balance right really, which is difficult to keep all guests happy.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 09:52
Get answers to your questions about Disneyland Paris
More Disneyland Paris Topics