We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget eating at DLP advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Budget eating at DLP advice.

We're (me, the wife and 2 kids, 3 & 6 years old) going in the February half term, but thanks to a job change (and a move from weekly to monthly pay) we're not particularly well off financially. So we're a little worried about the food costs while we're in DLP. Our current plan is:

Breakfasts: Fill up on our free hotel breakfasts. Make sandwiches for during the day. Controversial, I know.

Lunch: See above.

Drinks: We're bringing water bottles and a bottle of squash from home which should do us.

Dinners: Here's the worry. The McDonalds in the village seems to be fairly standard McDonalds price, so not too bad. We can do this once or twice. Annette's takeaway burger prices aren't that much higher either so we can probably stretch to that too.

Beyond that, we plan to go to the supermarket in the shopping center 1 stop away and grabbing some cheese, pate and baguettes for at least one dinner. That leaves 1 or 2 days left unplanned.

Any ideas? We'll be in Cheyenne so I believe we get a kettle, but nothing else to cook with. We're also bringing some pot noodles, porridge and other instant just add hot water food from home to fill any gaps, but I don't think there are many (decent) kettle only dinners we can either bring with us or buy at the local supermarket and eat back at the hotel.

Any other good, budget options? Anything the supermarket has that won't require refrigeration or cooking which I'm missing?

fake edit: I've just realised a jar of hotdogs might not be a bad idea. Boil them in the kettle and buy the buns at the supermarket.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

Earl of sandwich is fairly cheap aswell. They do hot and cold sandwiches.

I think you can also sign up for a free birthday voucher aswell so if you put in a fake birthday you could have the voucher for when you go.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 08:51
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

You may have to request a kettle and pay a deposit (we did in new york hotel).

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

Do we have to request it in advance, and how much is the deposit likely to be? Might be easier just to grab a travel kettle to throw in our suitcase instead!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

We paid €20 for our which we got back when we left. Some rooms do have kettles left in them though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

I have read on here there is a reasonably priced newsagent in the train station where you catch the Eurostar, they sell sandwiches etc you could take your own travel kettle set - you can get cheaply and take pot noodles, cous cous, instant mash and take kids plastic plates, k &fs and add that with sandwich.

I have heard of people taking boxes of wine and plastic cups so they can relax once the kids are asleep.

It is stupidly expensive in the parks, the more prepared you are the better I think.

Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

hi we are going the beginning of feb, me and hubby and 2 daughters (4,3) and we will also be eating on a budget and are planning on doing similar stuff to you. Im also taking super noodles to eat in the room and custard pots/ jelly pots. Apparently there is an aldi and lidl close by so if like us you are going in the car then you can stock up on cheap foods there

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

Unfortunately we don't drive, or we'd be all over Lidl rather than the other supermarket. We just bought (the majority of) our weekly shop there for around £60-£70, which is why the idea of spending €30 each on dinner seems excessive.

The wife "won't" do the free earl of sandwich with fake birthdays thing. It looks like a good alternative to McD's though. From what I can see it'll cost about the same, and the meal size will be similar.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

In the French supermarkets you can get taboule which does not need to be kept in a fridge. It consists of a tub of couscous and a tin of herby tomatoey sauce type stuff. You mix them together cold in a bowl and leave for 20 mins. Its really tasty just like a refrigerated taboule salad. So you just need a tin opener and a bowl/tub. I think it is the type of thing that might be handy for you.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

lol lollylots - we took wine, as you said, and only managed half a glass each over our whole stay. we were so dead on our feet by the time we got back to our rooms, there was really no need for relaxing!

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget eating at DLP advice.

Also in French supermarket they have tins of things like tuna and pasta, or prawn and rice salad, theyre a bit nicer than they sound, and again, handy for not needing to be refrigerated.