We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide between locations in Maui

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to decide between locations in Maui

We are planning a family vacation, (myself, my wife, 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 kids) and one of the options for us is Maui. I have done quite a lot of reading regarding the Honua Kai property in Kaanapali but availability is tight for my travel dates. Another option we are looking at is the Kapalua Villas. I have read that it is better to go through agencies rather than directly with an owner if one wanted access to the pools at the Ritz. If that is true, what are the recommended agencies and which type of accommodation should I look at?

Thanks!

Maui
Level Contributor
70,212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

Aloha,

If you book the Gold Villas through Outrigger, you do receive amenities that private rentals don't.

You might want to look into Maui Kaanapali Villas, the Westin KOR Villas, maybe the Mahana, Papakea, and Kaanapali Shores too.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

Just thought I'd add that all villas booked through Outrigger have access to the Ritz pools and the Kapalua Spa, not just the gold villas.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,257 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

When are you traveling?

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

Travel dates are planned for 8/11 - 8/16 though I may move it up by a day.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
788 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

If you're a Costco member check there.

If you're looking for the aminities of a property like the Ritz or Houna Kai, you don't want Papakea or the Mahana. They're both nice properties, but no frills and no onsite food service. Top three would be Kapalua, Houna Kai, Kaanapali Villas or check the Whaler (they have some good deals due to work going on) to be next to Whaler's Village and the other big resorts.

Level Contributor
38,835 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

We just returned from a week at Honua Kai, it was perfect for us! Let me know if you have any specific questions on this property. We had a 2 bedroom condo with a partial oceanview (upgraded upon check-in) in the Konea Tower. :)

Maui
Level Contributor
70,212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

Aloha,

Sorry about the typo on the Outrigger Kapalu Villas--I do know better, thanks for correcting my bad info!

I agree that some of the condos I recced aren't the same scale as the Ritz or Honua Kai-I put them in the mix so the OP could get a better feel for other properties in the area and perhaps decide that some of the "extras" were or weren't worth it.

While the Whaler is having some good deals, the concrete work is big, noisy, dusty and it sure wouldn't be my choice any time soon.

You might also look at the Kaanapali Ali'i. No restaurant on site, but very, very nice.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

Kaanapali Alii is great and right in the action. Very nice BBQ area., as is the Whaler but without the updated pool area.

Maui Kaanapali Villas is also a great Kaanapali Resort. Beautiful sandy part of the beach,. Lots of garden areas.

Honua Kai is the newest and right on the beach. Beautiful.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

I poked around on VRBO for Honua Kai rentals and there is a wide variety though I found that only have of the folks have responded to my questions. There is one property of interest but the owner, for some reason does not want to share the unit number with me. All I have is that it is the 1 BR unit is on the 7th floor of the Hokulani tower and has both Partial and Mountain views. To me it would seem to be on the north side and I know that some folks say that the south side is better since construction has stopped on the new Westin property. It seems odd that the owner won't provide the unit number when almost every other listing for HK has it listed.

If I book through the HK website, how much flexibility is there in being able to select a unit? I would be looking at either a Partial Ocean or an inner courtyard view of either tower.

I did check out the Outrigger Kapalua Villas but no Gold rooms were available just standard 1 BR.

Thanks!

Edited: 14 June 2011, 14:20
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to decide between locations in Maui

I ended up deciding on the Honua Kai. I wasn't able to get a Gold Kapalua Villa (based on some recommendations). I did find some Kapalua Bay Villa's that seemed nice but none included access to the pool at the Ritz, which I know my kids would love, and paying $25/day for access to it didn't make much financial sense to me.

I am planning to spend a couple of days hanging out at some of the Kapalua beaches.

Thanks everyone for your help/advice!