We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

Hello all,

We will be visiting Maui for the first time to renew our vows. I have rented a home for my family, parents and in laws. Only thing we are a little nervous about is the fact that our son has a peanut allergy. In case of an emergency should i still call 911 or should we drive to the nearest hosiptial/medical centre. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Navaz

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
11. Re: Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

Appreciate all the help puts our mind a little more at ease.

Addiitionally, if I may ask, is it common procedure to use peanut oil at all in restaurants? We always ask but nice to know ahead of time.

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
1,013 reviews
12. Re: Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

Speaking as an EMT, I want to echo what Swmarket said. Please do not drive yourself to the hospital. Most of my experience has been in a remote area where the nearest hospital was about half an hour away. Call 911 immediately. I would rather be called out for something that turns out to be nothing, than to read in the paper that someone died driving themselves to the hospital, realizing that I was 5 minutes away and could help.

A tip about the epi pens. A problem with them is that people keep them in their pocketbooks, cars, etc for years. The medicine does have an expiration date. When people go to use them, the medicine has expired and is not as potent as it should be. Please check the expiration dates before before you go on your trip.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
13. Re: Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

Fiasco,

I totally understand your questions and concerns. My youngest has a peanut allergy. Everywhere, and I mean everywhere, we went to eat, we asked about peanuts and peanut oil. No one had an issue and every waiter, waitress, host, hostess we asked, was more than happy to check with the Chef. We didn't find any peanut oil, but you already know that you need to ask anyways. Have fun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
14. Re: Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

Thanks for all the responses. We are looking forward to a safe but great vaca.

cheers

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
529 reviews
15. Re: Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

also, not to scare you...but i had to be rushed to the ER at maui memorial...i was told that they don't call it memorial for nothing. i was given K$10,000 of tests that didn't have anything to do with what i have. i would have gone to a clinic , had i known. i was a bit overwhelmed...the woman in lahaina said that it is the worst hospital in the country (well, that is really what my doc here said)...so go to a clinic instead. it was the worst experience of my life.

hopefully, the restaurants will be honest with you. be careful, as you know on the back of many packages (i am a nutritionist), it says, "and other spices"...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
16. Re: Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

thanks for the heads up and for the "and other spices" ... never seen that before or have just ignored it in the past

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
529 reviews
17. Re: Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

I worked in restaurants and we always brought out the package to SHOW the person, because "other spices" can mean alot of different things.

18. Re: Peanut Allergy in Lahaina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 01:18