We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on day trip from London to Peak District

Which Chesterfield hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions on day trip from London to Peak District

I'm planning a trip to London in late May. One of my traveling companions has requested a day in the Peak district. She has mentioned Castleton, but is not fussy on location. She has mentioned she would like to see the national forest.

Since we are based in London, I would like a trip that allows us to return to London rather than staying in Derbyshire.

Can anyone recommend a good city or way to explore the forest in a day trip? We will have a Britrail England pass, so traveling during rush hour is not a problem. We have been to England before and traveled mostly in the southeast. This trip will be similar and this is the farthest north we are going. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Suggestions on day trip from London to Peak District

UPDATE: Thanks to Phil-on-the-Bus and his wonderful itinerary, we made it Chatsworth and back without problems. We left on an earlier train from london Kings Cross at 7:30 to Sheffield.

The extra hour was worth it because we were able to enjoy the house and almost all the gardens before catching the bus to Matlock. I can honestly say that the gardens were my favorite of the Capability Brown design. The house was wonderful, but the gardens were the best part I think. I have so many pictures to go through. I could see the "natural" setting of the gardens and how they took pains to make it look wild but yet controlled. The stream running through the field was simply wonderful to look at. We took the bus to Matlock and the train from Matlock to Derby.

This was the only snafu on the trip. The Matlock train was delayed and we missed our first connection at Derby. The next train was delayed as well, and we were an hour in the station before catching a London train. Gotta love BritRail passes, the flexibility is so worth it. We ended up in London about 7:30-8 I believe and walked from St. Pancras back to the hotel stopping at Pizza Express. I can honestly say British Pizza has improved since I was last in England.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Suggestions on day trip from London to Peak District

Glad you enjoyed the trip - it makes everybody's efforts worthwhile when it all works out like that.

Good job you came yesterday and not Tuesday - it poured with rain all day - well planned :-)

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Suggestions on day trip from London to Peak District

Cat09tails, please accept award of the TA highest honour for providing value-adding feedback after your trip. I guessed that Phil's contribution would be more useful than mine and you have proved him right.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Suggestions on day trip from London to Peak District

Thanks again to everyone. Phil was invaluable, sending me exact steps of how to get to the House down to times and bus numbers. I printed out that paper and kept it safe along with all my other trip papers. I wonder just how many trees I killed copying stuff. I was curious to try his alternative of stopping in Matlock Spa, but Mom and Sis vetoed me. Oh well.

Sis was happy to get her view of the Peak District. She took even more photos than me. The weeping willow and the rock garden were her favorites.

My other piece of advice would be to bring your own food. The stuff at the house was limited selection and very pricy. Just 3 sandwiches all about 3.50. We ate snacks and grabbed something at Derby waiting for the delayed train.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Suggestions on day trip from London to Peak District

I am glad to hear that the bus part of your trip to Chatsworth worked out OK. Whilst I give out quite a bit of bus information on TA, I rarely find out if the people take my advice so it is nice to get some feedback.

Unfortunately the train companies do have the ability to mess up a good itinerary, which is perhaps why I am called Phil-the-Bus rather than Phil-the-Train ! The problem with the Matlock rail line is that it is usually run by just one train shuttling to and fro, so if you had stopped off at Matlocck Bath, the next train would probably have been late as well.

Phil-the-Bus

26. Re: Suggestions on day trip from London to Peak District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Chesterfield
More Chesterfield Topics