We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

Which Kenmare hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Flagstaff, Arizona
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

Hi, we are going for our first trip to Ireland in December. We are hoping to drive from Dublin to Kenmare, in a day, stopping at Cashel? Is that realistic? I would appreciate any advice. Is the RIng of Beara drivable then (on a different day)? I understand the weather may be cold and rainy, but it still sounds lovely. Thank you.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

Dublin to Kenmare is a little over 200 miles and is readily drivable in a day. Driving time would be about 4-5 hours, not allow for stops and Cashel would be a good place to stop, as it is roughly mid way.

The route from Dublin is principally motorway (highway) as far as Mitchelstown and is a generally good quality N road from Mitchelstown via Mallow to Killarney. Killarney to Kenmare is also an N road but is more demanding driving wise as it twists and turns due to the local terrain.

Bear in mind that sunset at this time of year is about 4-4.30pm, so you would be well advised to plan your trip to get to Kenmare before dark, as driving on unfamiliar roads in the dark and in potentially bad weather can be demanding.

Driving around Beara is quite possible at this time of year but the ease of the drive would be weather dependent. Some of the passes may be difficult in bad weather. However the coastal route along the southern part of the peninsula is quite straightforward, via Glengarrif and Adrigole.

Overall, the main issue for you in driving is probably weather - it can vary greatly at this time of year from mild sunny weather with intermittent rain, via heavy rain and flooding to occasional severe snow (as experienced last year). Frost and ice on roads can be a frequent hazard for early morning drivers.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

Driving in December is always weather dependant but provided you have a day or two to shake the jet lag then the 200 miles cross country shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Flagstaff, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond -- much appreciated!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

Mitchelstown-Mallow-Killarney wouldn't be my idea of a good road!!I drive it regularly. If you get behind a car leaving Mitchelstown ,it will be outside Mallow before you get a chance to over take. Parts of that road are quite twisty too.

Mallow to Rathmore isn't wonderful either.

Nenagh, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

Hi in my opnion I wouldnt go by cashel that is way out of the way if you look at a map of ireland and see dublin and look at kenmare you wouldnt even touch cashel!!if you look at this http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/ route planner and put in your destination it will tell you the more direct route it would be over 4 driving and just 400miles driving it wouldnt be drivable if your just getting off a plane id making a half way stop!!

Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

As a regular visitor from Dublin to Kenmare (where we have a holiday home), the easiest and fastest route is straight down the M8 motorway, through the tunnel in Cork and around the ring road. Follow the N22 past Macroom and then take the R569 to Kenmare. It takes me about 3hrs 15 mins - and that's NOT breaking any speed limits! Have a great vacation!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

am with JTW2 on this ,best route for you is as he says.

8. Re: Driving Dublin to Kenmare, in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2012, 05:21