We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Kinsale in a day....need help!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
122 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
Dublin to Kinsale in a day....need help!

We are traveling in September from Dublin to Kinsale area in a day via, wicklow mtns Powerscourt, Rock of Cashel, Kilkenny. This is day 3 in a 10 day itinerary which leads us to Kenmare days 4-6 and LaHinch days 7-9. Our original itinerary had us spending the night in Kilkenny, but now members of our party want to play Old Head Golf Course. It has been recommended to us that we stay further down in either Cork City or Kinsale. I have not been wowed by any of the hotels in Kinsale. The old bank house was my first choice, but they are booked already, Perryvale looks nice, but they have a 2 night minimum. Blue Haven is an option. I was also looking further afield and Hayfield Manor in Cork looked lovely, but an hours drive for the golfers which is half of our group. I keep thinking I am going to stumble on a lovely manorhome/castle hotel nearer to Kinsale but have not ! We would like to be someplace where there is some fun saturday night life, pubs with live music good dining etc.

Golf tee times are wide open in the morning as of now...9, 10 , 11 etc....Any thoughts? I need to choose accomodation soon. Is cork an easier place to end the day of driving to Dublin? Or does it make more sense to drive all the way to Kinsale. I guess we will tour kinsale while the the other half golfs.....

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
166 reviews
367 helpful votes
1. Re: Dublin to Kinsale in a day....need help!

I'm sorry, I really don't think you'll manage to visit Powerscourt, Kilkenny and Rock of Cashel en-route from Dublin to Kinsale in a day: the total distance is almost 360km, which will take min 6hrs to cover, and you need at least 2hrs each at Powerscourt and Cashel, and half a day to walk around Kilkenny. It takes a full day just to travel from Dublin to Kilkenny, stopping at Powerscourt and Glendalough, which is a monastic settlement in the Wicklow mountains. It would be a shame to miss Glendalough if you're driving through the area:

http://www.glendalough.ie/

wicklownationalpark.ie/glendalough/pages.php

Even travelling as far as Cork city won't make much difference: still too much for 1 day, I think!

If you "must" get to co. Cork in a day, then you might be best to travel from Dublin down via Kilkenny and Cashel, which is doable, but still quite busy. The distance is just over 300km and should take around 4.5hrs - the difference being that most of the journey will be on motorway/national roads, whereas travelling through the Wicklow Mountains takes alot longer.

I really like Kinsale as a night-stop - but then I haven't visit Cork city, so can't really compare for you. However, does it have to be a hotel stay in Kinsale? There are some super guest houses in the town, which have excellent reviews here on Tripadvisor. And Kinsale has some nice restaurants, too. I stayed at the Old Presbytery on two occasions many years ago, and although it has since changed hands, it still has good reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g211878-d2159…

http://www.oldpres.com/

If you want to check out further routes and travel times, then have a look on this web-site, but bear in mind that the travel times quoted are "bear minimum", as they don't allow for possible delays along the way (roadworks, diversions, etc):

www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/Search.aspx

:-)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
166 reviews
367 helpful votes
2. Re: Dublin to Kinsale in a day....need help!

** "you need at least 2hrs each at Powerscourt and Cashel," **

sorry - should read "you need approx. 2hrs each at Powerscourt and Cashel".

I wonder if there is anything going on in Kinsale during your planned visit. There is a conference 4-9 September, but I can't find anything else listed on their web-site:

http://kinsale.ie/

Kinsale is quite small, and you could easily wander around the town in a couple of hours (allowing for window shopping/shopping/coffee stop). There is a nice walk out to Charles Fort, which takes you along the coastal path:

kinsale.ie/category/…

and there are walking tours, both day time and night time (ghost tour) if this sort of thing interests you:

kinsale.ie/category/…

:-)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,123 posts
395 reviews
625 helpful votes
3. Re: Dublin to Kinsale in a day....need help!

If they are playing at Old head, realistically Kinsale is the place to stay. Kinsale is only16 miles south of cork city, but for first timers this journey (normally about 40minutes) could take longer depending on where you are staying in the city.

Hayfield Manor is the only 5 star hotel in cork city and is about a 20 minute walk to the city centre.

Blue Haven in Kinsale is an option for you and remember it is only for one night so if you really dislike it, you do only have to suffer one night. Blue Haven had a very good restaurant with a great gourmet tag, but I'm not sure if it still has it. I think it has. I think it's called Blu.

There are a number of very good guesthouses in Kinsale and if I ever had reason to stay there this is one that would be first on my list www.harbourlodge.com

Why you might ask. Location, Location, Location. It has probably one of the best locations in Kinsale being located at the beginning of the famous 'Scilly Walk'. It is not right in the centre of kinsale town but is only a 10 minute pleasant waterside walk to there. Next door, the excellent (but expensive) spinnaker restaurant and just two minutes walk away the very good Man Friday and Spaniard restaurants. For the non golfers - a relaxing walk from the Harbour Lodge along the car-free Scilly walk to Charlesfort and if liked further on to the headland where the sea views are spectacular. For those who don't like to golf or walk, Kinsale town can keep them occupied for an hour or two. It is quite a pretty sailing/fishing town.

Investigate Harbour Lodge guesthouse, I think you will love it and it will suit both golfers and non golfers alike. 6 miles drive to old head golf club - about 20 minutes.

There is plenty to do in Kinsale for one day. Do consider it.

Whether you choose Kinsale or Cork city for your accommodation probably depends on what the majority want to do during your visit.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 18:28
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
122 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Dublin to Kinsale in a day....need help!

Thank you so much for your assistance! We were unable to book at Harbor Lodge, but did take rooms at the Glen Country House, which looks lovely. 20 minutes outside of Kinsale. I think the one night rental is a problem on the weekends. We are looking forward to staying there with our group.

5. Re: Dublin to Kinsale in a day....need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2012, 04:16
6. Re: Dublin to Kinsale in a day....need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2012, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale