We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castledermot High Cross

Timolin near...
2 posts
Castledermot High Cross

I saw a comment on 'Deadly Beds in Kinsale' that someone did not know why there was a smile on the face of the donkey on the Castledermot High Cross. Writer also said they did not get an answer at yhe Pewtermill in Timolin. Well I must not have been there that day. Eamon Kane, Castledermot Historian, claims they donkey is smiling because it is on the way home from Egypt and not as most think that the panel features 'The Flight into Egypt'. This is quite possible as many Irish manuscripts feature little alternative twists to the anticipated stories. I hope you see this as it is the first time I posted on Trip Advisor.

The Pewter Man.

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Castledermot High Cross

I love the donkey on the Moone High Cross, we used an adaption of that panel for our wedding invitations. Castledermot's two crosses sometimes get overlooked. We bring our students to all three (from Carlow town.)

They have also built 3-d replicas in a 3-d immersive form ,that we have been using for exceptionally able students.

www.missionv.ie.

Can you pm me a phone no. for the mill as I never seem to find it open.

Timolin near...
2 posts
2. Re: Castledermot High Cross

We now do Special Commissions only. Ask in the Post office in Moone and they will tell you how to contact me.

3. Re: Castledermot High Cross

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 01:34
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale