We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kinsale to Mayo

North Carolina
4 posts
Kinsale to Mayo

My husband & I will be departing Kinsale on a Thursday in August and traveling toward Mayo. We want to be in Mayo on Friday or Saturday. We would appreciate your opinion on where to stay, in between, for 1 or 2 nights and what sites to not miss. Thanks for your help!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Kinsale to Mayo

Depending on where in Mayo and other factors like weather and traffic, there is somewhere between 4 and 7 hours of driving between Kinsale and Mayo.

We'll rule out Cork, Cobh and Blarney because you will have scarcely got started from Kinsale when you pass them.

For me, you then have three main possibilities to choose from - Limerick, Clare or Galway.

Limerick has good choices for places to eat and socialize and doesn't have the touristy feel of the other two. There are a good number of things to do there, but it is still a city vibe, so you need to think about whether that appeals to you. That said, there are other places nearby, such as Lough Gur and Killaloe that you could visit and not be in the city.

Clare is going the other way. It is much more rural, although Ennis is a decent-sized town. It contains a couple of Ireland's main tourist sites - The Cliffs of Moher and The Burren. The drawback of staying in Clare is a more limited choice for dining and drinking than the Limerick or Galway options.

Galway is a city with a good vibe, feeling a bit more like a super-sized Irish town than a city. There is great evening entertainment and plenty of food option. I never find there's a massive amount to do in the city, so if staying there, I would use its facilities in the evening, but take the day before to see the sights in Clare and the day after to explore Connemara (only really en route if you are heading to the western half of Mayo).

Bellevue, Nebraska
Level Contributor
67 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: Kinsale to Mayo

We visited Kinsale while in Blarney, but Bunratty Castle and village after Limerick but before Shannon is much better because it's still furnished whereas Blarney is a shell of its former glory. There is Blarney House but it was not open during August when we were there. We stayed in a B&B very near Bunratty. While there, you can drive to see the Cliffs of Moher. Simply stunning!!!

3. Re: Kinsale to Mayo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2017, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale