We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Killarney to Kinsale and can I fit it in?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Killarney to Kinsale and can I fit it in?

Hello--Travelling in August with husband and 2 boys (11/13) for 8 days (wish it could be longer). Primary goal is to visit Dingle as my Dad is from Slea Head. We currently are spending 2 nights Doolin, 2 nights Dingle and then 3 nights Killarney. Last minute my husband has been told we must get to Kinsale. Is it a day trip from Killarney? Or should I cancel 1 night in Killarney? But then we have to get up to Shannon area for early flight. Not sure I can even get Kinsale lodging at this point. Thanks for any insight.

Mentioned in this post
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Killarney to Kinsale and can I fit it in?

Make you last day / night close to SNN airport

consider staying in Bunratty village off the N18

only a 10 minute drive from SNN airport.

Try using the Shannonferries.com /

connecting County Clare to County Kerry

use google maps to see, plan your route

Kinsale town is very popular in summer

with sailing and foodies

It's a 2 hour drive from Killarney N22 to N27 / R600

good luck.

Mentioned in this post
County Clare
County Clare
Province of Munster, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Killarney to Kinsale and can I fit it in?

We are also traveling in August with our kids (9 and 11) and have been considering the same thing. We have friends who recently returned from Ireland and said Kinsale was their favorite. Great food and beautiful town and they thought the fort nearby was really cool as well.

I know other people who have told me that Kinsale felt "the least Irish" of all the places they visited and even though beautiful they said the crowds in summer made enjoying the place difficult (I think because it's small). If we had a few more days, I would definitely do it but ultimately, I think we are going to pass on Kinsale on this trip as I am trying to minimize time in the car and long drives.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,226 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Killarney to Kinsale and can I fit it in?

Kinsale is one of those places you either like or don't. I think there are much nicer towns.

Do I think you should cancel one night in Killarney to spend a night in Kinsale - no. Absolutely not. Kinsale is going to be very busy in August anyhow.

Make sure you are in the Limerick-Shannon area the night before your flight.

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
4. Re: Drive from Killarney to Kinsale and can I fit it in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 July 2016, 04:05
5. Re: Drive from Killarney to Kinsale and can I fit it in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2017, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale
Recent Conversations