We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covering Ireland In 8 Days-Feel Free To Chime In

Which Clifden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ithaca, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Covering Ireland In 8 Days-Feel Free To Chime In

The tickets are bought, the minivan is rented, the Castles, Hotels and B&B's are Reserved. Now we're just trying to make sure we fit in as much as we can. I'm traveling with my hubby, sister and her husband to Ireland in a few weeks. It’s a double honeymoon (ours is just 12 years late) We’re all in our late twenties/early thirties looking to do a lot of outdoor hiking, sightseeing, pubcrawling. We'd appreciate any tips or suggestions on things to do while we're here. Here's what we have planned so far.

We fly in to Dublin on Saturday 4/14, early AM. We'll pickup the car right at the airport and be on our way to Cong. We're staying our first night at Ashford Castle. From what I can see Cong doesn't have an awful lot going on but the castle sure looks beautiful. My hubby really wants to do the falconry walk at Ashford. We've read so many great things about it. I'm terrified of birds but might need to do it anyway. We’ll also do some horseback riding and check out the town of Cong. Are there any great pubs or restaurants in Cong? Anything else that we definitely need to see there?

We’ll be staying at Abbeyglen castle in Clifden on Sunday night. I saw that Clifden has a trad music fest that will be wrapping up on Sunday. Maybe we’ll check that out. Also Kylemore Abbey looks beautiful.

We have yet to plan any details but here’s the route we’re taking. Please chime in with any suggestions.

Saturday arrive in Dublin and drive to Ashford Castle in Cong

Sunday drive from Cong to Clifden. Stay at Abbeyglen that night.

Monday drive from Clifden to Shannon. Stay at b&b that night

Tuesday drive from Shannon to Mackroom. Stay at B&b that night.

Wednesday drive from Mackroom to Kilmore Quay. Stay at B&B that night.

Thursday drive from Kilmore Quay to Malahide (north of Dublin). Stay at B&B that night.

Friday spending the day in Dublin, staying in Trinity Hotel that night and flying home Saturday evening.

I’d like to see the Cliffs of Moher, definitely want to see Blarney Castle (thinking we’d probably do that Tuesday when staying in Macroom), want to see Hill of Tara on Thursday when staying north of Dublin. I know that there are other ancient sites north of Dublin that we’d probably like to see. Are these areas close to each other where you could cover a few in the same day?

Edited: 29 March 2012, 10:16
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Covering Ireland In 8 Days-Feel Free To Chime In

I woould suggest that you stay in Limerick rather than Shannon and press on to Cork rather than staying in Macroom

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Covering Ireland In 8 Days-Feel Free To Chime In

first thing that pops out at me is the drive from dublin to cong after getting off an international flight...jet lag can zap you when you least expect it....be sure to stop and move around to keep you as alert as possible and to avoid putting yourself and others in danger...

second this plan won't leave a great deal of time to really soak up any one place you plan to go....i suppose since you've made all of your reservations your options are limited....just enjoy what time you have in each area and don't worry about adding anything, you won't be disappointed.....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
49,501 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Covering Ireland In 8 Days-Feel Free To Chime In

Same thing here re: getting off the plane and heading to Ashford Castle. You're likely to be very tired if not actually jet lagged. Maybe consider staying in Dublin for the night and going on to Ashford in the morning?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,129 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Covering Ireland In 8 Days-Feel Free To Chime In

Also, staying the last 2 nights in Malahide may be better (instead of doing 2 more 1 nighters) since Malahide is close to the airport and it is very easy to get to/from Dublin on the train or bus.

I would highly recommend The Grand Hotel in Malahide. We stayed there 3 nights our last trip (first 2 nights and last one) and it was perfect. Easy to get to from the airport, to get back to the airport to rent the car (I know myself and getting off international flights where I do not sleep at all - never have and never will - so driving right off the plane was out), getting to the train station for Dublin (a short 10 minute or so walk) then getting back to the airport on the way home.

5. Re: Covering Ireland In 8 Days-Feel Free To Chime In

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2013, 05:22