We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide if we want to stay in hilo.

Seattle
11 posts
Can't decide if we want to stay in hilo.

We are flying into kona for a week and trying to decide if we want to stay on the east side for any portion of our trip. We would like to see a lot of sights near hilo and volcano but want to stay on the leeward "sunnyside". any idea on where we should stay to make our time in the car to a minimum? or should we just stay in hilo for a night or two?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Can't decide if we want to stay in hilo.

With only a week, you don't have much time. I would probably just do one night in Volcano, and explore Hilo either on the way or way back from VNP. :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
2. Re: Can't decide if we want to stay in hilo.

I agree, with a week, I'd just stay 1 night in Volcano as coalminer suggests.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,160 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Can't decide if we want to stay in hilo.

Try plotting out what you want to do, and see how it works out with day trip, one night, two night. Easiest way to see what is practical.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Can't decide if we want to stay in hilo.

Depends on if you limit your time to just a week. 11 nights total is a good amount to fully explore the whole island (allows for some just relax/beach days).

From Hilo you can easily do Mauna Kea day trip, Hamakua Coast day trip, Volcano National Park day trip, and a scenic drive of lower Puna. So 4 nights over there wouldn't even be too much.

Most people wanting "sunny side" are better off in the South Kohola area but a long day trip to Volcano back/forth never makes sense to me from there so decide on what you want to see on the Volcano/Hilo side and you can book some time over there. Most B&B's on the east side are a 2 ngiht minimum or more expensive for just one night.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 15:28
Oregon
Level Contributor
114 posts
104 reviews
5. Re: Can't decide if we want to stay in hilo.

We go over about once/ year. Generally for two weeks. We like to stay a night at Volcano village at the amazing Kilaauea Lodge. Fun rooms great meals.

LA
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
1 review
6. Re: Can't decide if we want to stay in hilo.

There's nothing wrong with staying one night in the Volcano area while keeping your west side accomodations. You can have a more relaxing time at the park, or visiting the Kalapana area to see the red lava (if it is flowing).

Just depends on your budget and how you want to alot your time.

I usually find there is too much to do/see on the east side and Volcano area to do it all in one day trip from south Kohala.

7. Re: Can't decide if we want to stay in hilo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 01:19