We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

laundromats

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
370 reviews
Save Topic
laundromats

Got some recommendations on self-service laundromats in Kailua-Kona, but hoping to find something closer to the Fairmont Orchid. Maybe Waikoloa Village? I do have sometime each morning while my wife is in a conference at the hotel (especially if, like this morning, it's raining, so visibility isn't great for snorkeling).

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,849 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: laundromats

Nothing in the Village. At one time there was one in Waimea, but it was years ago I knew about it ... Shea knows the options.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: laundromats

Sigh, I am well versed in the options! Lol. I have some, um, challenges in my new solar-only house.

So, ok, the Waimea Washerette in Waimea is fine. Big machines and small. Bill changer. Make note before you put your clothes in, if there's duct tape across the coin slot, it doesn't work.

There's also one in Honokaa, but Waimea is closer to the Fairmont, about 20-25 minutes, on the mauka side of the highway on the Hilo side of Waimea. Right across Big Island Brewhaus, which is a great place to sit and wait with a brewed-on-site beer and a burrito :-)

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: laundromats

Never did find one near the Fairmont. Did our laundry in the working coin-operated machines at our hotel in Hilo.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: laundromats

As I said, the closest one to the Fairmont is the Waimea one, about 25 minutes away. Glad you were able to take care of it in Hilo though.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: laundromats

Advantage was that we could do laundry while eating dinner. Didn't take away from snorkel time at the Fairmont's lagoon!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,849 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: laundromats

Did you stay at Hilo Hawaiian?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: laundromats

Yes, one night. Not the best hotel we've stayed in, but it served its purpose for one night. Nice setting. Hotel looks past its "use by" date, despite renovations. Good singer in the bar/cafe, however.

California
Level Contributor
986 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: laundromats

Seems odd that the Fairmont doesn't provide some coin-operated laundry facilities for its guests. The Keauhou Beach Resort had a nice laundry room in the basement that we always used. All hotels/motels should do this.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,849 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: laundromats

Agree B&D, but I suppose some higher end hotels think their guests will be sending out their wash and paying for the service rather than doing their own laundry on vacation time.

I would do the laundry myself, but OTOH, if you're paying $400 a night for 16 waking hours, that's $25 per waking hour, so that's a real cost to you when you spend it in a laundromat instead of something more fun.

Thanks, Sutter, for your take on HH!

A big problem with the Banyan Drive hotels is they are on leasehold land, not fee simple. It's a form of land ownership that's not terribly common outside Hawai'i.

As the end date looms on the leasehold, the lessee business has no guarantee of renewal, and stands to lose the improvements. So no hotel developer wants to take on those hotels without a guarantee of a good long lease at good terms.

The state is working on doing something about the situation so that Hilo's hotels can rise back to something worthy of their setting, but so far it is a lot of talk and waiting. Certainly they will not offer a better lease deal unless someone steps up and guarantees they will take on the hotel.

The Naniloa renovations that were promised a few years back have not turned out as hoped.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: laundromats

I think the only higher end hotel I've ever stayed at that had self-serve laundry facilities was the FS Hualalai. I can't recall routinely seeing seeing (self serve) laundry facilities at midrange or upper range hotels here or in any other country. It's definitely an exception rather than a rule. I'm not sure why that is, I love that Hualalai has (free, including detergent) laundry, it just makes it so much easier to pack light. And most hotel send-out laundry is ridiculously expensive. The other exceptions I've seen are safari lodges I've been at and some other lodges in Canada where they do your laundry, but there's no cost.i would think most people would consider it a big plus.