We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage check thru possible?

arkansas
Level Contributor
71 posts
31 reviews
Luggage check thru possible?

Hi,

We are flying into HNL via AA ff mile tiks . I am going to buy Hawaiian air tiks to get us on to BI. Will AA be able to check us thru to BI, or will we have to claim and recheck bags in HNL? Not sure how much time I need in HNL to accomplish getting on the HA flight! Will be our first trip to BI and haven't seen Hawaii at all since 30 years ago!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Luggage check thru possible?

I think it's called interlining where the carriers have a reciprocal bag agreement, and most do, but not all. You can call AA and verify and ask if you need to do anything or if it will be automatic.

When you arrive at the first counter, they ask what is your final destination, and they ticket the bags accordingly, in my experience.

If you can't get them checked onwards, you will be adding a substantial amount of time as leaving security and going through again is a big deal. So make sure it happens by arranging it in advance if need be.

You should ideally abide by the connection times requested by Hawaiian Air, but I'd say no less than an hour. You will be walking from the Mainland terminal to the Inter-island, which doesn't take that long, but you have to allow time for your bags to be transferred, so it's not just you who has to get to the new plane.

Also, you should allow for your plane being late to arrive.

If you miss your connection, and you booked a too tight connection, then Hawaiian will not just put you on the next flight. They will charge you a change fee per ticket and will make you pay the fare increase for a same day flight, which could be $100 or more per person.

Bottom line, it is not worth it to cut the time too close. I would do the 90 minutes.

Edited: 08 February 2013, 00:36
2. Re: Luggage check thru possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 00:17