We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

I'm going to book an Eastcoast train ticket from Sunderland to London Kingcross. In the booking website, there is a choice of "Sunderland" and "Sunderland (Metro)" .

Please advise me of the distance between these two stations. I stay at a place in Mowbray Road. Which one should I choose? "Sunderland" or "Sunderland (Metro)".

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Claire

8 replies to this topic
London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

My understanding is that tickets are interchangeable between Metro and rail.

The Nexus site provides info.

There are trains that run direct from Sunderland to London. These are ran by Grand Central. Not as frequent as East Coast but worth considering.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

If you are staying on Mowbray Rd the Park Lane Metro Interchange would be slightly closer than the train station . Will you be walking to Mowbray Rd or using public transport or taxi? There are taxis available at both the Interchange and the station.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

Also, be careful you need the main Sunderland stop, there is a second one two minutes away literally which isn't served by these trains and if you went to that one I think you'd be facing a good 10 minute walk by foot between the two compared to the distance on the metro it's supervising.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

There isn't a station called Sunderland (Metro) as such. It just means that if you select 'Sunderland (Metro)' as the starting point the ticket is valid for commencing your journey from any station on the Nexus Metro system (e.g. Park Lane) and changing on to the national rail network at Sunderland station. If you just select 'Sunderland' it means your journey has to commence at Sunderland rail station (although you would still be able to start from a Metro station if you bought a separate Metro ticket from your starting point to Sunderland). Tickets starting from 'Sunderland (Metro)' are priced higher to make allowance for the additional journey. Buying one would make sense if your journey required a longer Metro trip, but from Mowbray Road it would be as easy to go directly to Sunderland rail station rather than walking to, say, Park Lane, and travelling one stop on the Metro - so just choose 'Sunderland' on the booking form.

Grand Central http://www.grandcentralrail.com/ is an alternative operator to East Coast trains for travel from Sunderland to London. Their trains don't go through Newcastle. As mentioned above they are less frequent but can be cheaper if you're booking in advance.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

There's a map of the Metro network on http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/stations

It takes 10 minutes to walk between Park Lane Interchange and Sunderland rail station.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

Dear All

Thank you so much for your replies which give me a lot of useful information.

Greatly appreciate your help.

Regards

Claire

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

Neither of them are far apart from each other.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
455 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)

There is only 1 'Sunderland' station and the platforms are shared by the Rail services and the Metro services. The next stop on rail services are Seaham (heading south) and Heworth (heading north) and are both miles away so make sure you get off at Sunderland if using rail services

Reply to: Sunderland and Sunderland (Metro)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sunderland